Gene, thank you for that very salient comment! Do you mind if I copy it to my
blog (with attribution to you of course)?

Your point about “metaphor” is well taken; I’m using it here very broadly. Or,
if we take the narrow meaning as the baseline, my “metaphor” is actually a
synechdoche for Dewey’s “aesthetic experience.”

As for recognition, habituation is certainly one aspect of it, one side of the
coin … but I also see a recreative side in recognition (when it’s prompted by a
creative metaphor), and that’s the side I’m focusing on in this context.

Phaneroscopically, the point is that the Firstness involved in Thirdness keeps
it alive.

Gary f.

} Where there are humans, you'll find flies and Buddhas. [Issa] {

http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway