OK, thanks Jon. That is clear enough. You are right on all counts, I think. I
would think that Russell and Frege come out as rationalists (my version) on
this account, but Peirce does not (on these grounds at least). That would put
Peirce closer to my position than I could argue for previously, though I
suspected it. I was strongly influenced by reading Peirce as an undergrad,
though I did it without guidance and paid more attention to how it influenced
my own thinking than to what the correct interpretation of Peirce was. My 1984
PhD thesis refers to Peirce as an influence, but I am a bit cagey on this, and
remarked in a footnote that it depended on how Peirce was interpreted. People
like Nicholas Rescher and Hilary Putnam were also influenced by Peirce, but
drew some conclusions diametrically opposite to what I was arguing. Our 2007
book, Every Thing Must Go, opens with a Peircean positivism that is also
present in my thesis (not to be confused with either that of Comte or the
Logical Positivists like A.J. Ayer, which are considerably more strict in
rejecting metaphysics). The only paper I have published from my thesis so far
was titled “Pragmatic Incommensurability”, a take on Kuhn. Both Kuhn and
Phillip Kitcher praised it, but a number of more radical idealists were more
critical. My own approach lends itself to naturalism rather than the
anti-psychologism you mention, which I tend to associate with rationalism.
Another place I deviate from Russell, but perhaps not Peirce, if you are right.

John Collier

Professor Emeritus, UKZN

http://web.ncf.ca/collier