Supplement: So, degeneracy is not a de-evolution or reverse (de-) generation, but an incomplete or wrong comprehension of how something has been generated (and so the reason why it has), based on the fact, that the generation process is not easily observable, not observable at all, or not observable due to a lack of observation-competence by the observer. All in all it is a matter of reason and meaning not conveyed. This way one can say, that the immediate (internal) object is degenerate (because no sign can be able to represent each and every aspect of a dynamical object outside of the sign). This goes along with your internal-external-distinction. And also the two modes of the interpretant, which are not the final one, are. Now the question for me remains: What about the sign classes? In case this consideration is correct so far, can it be transferred to sign classes in a way, that one can say: firstness of secondness or secondness of thirdness is degenerate, that would be eg. a rhematic indexical legisign (eg. by Peirce: Demonstrative pronoun)? Demonstrative pronouns are eg "this", "that", "these", "those". Is there a loss of meaning or reason too? I have the impression that it is so, but cannot fix the thougt now.
Best,
Helmut

Clark, list,
you wrote: " If you have the form but not the matter then it’s degenerate.". Thank you: This way eventually, after a long time,  I think I understand why it is called degenerate. Maybe it is like this: "matter" may be understood for "reason", like in the question "Whats the matter?", in which someone is asking for the reason for somebody elses behaviour. The reason (matter) has generated the behaviour (form). In the same way, the reason for two parallel lines might have been an elliptical function, but with the focal points very far apart. At this border case of the function, that has generated the lines (the form), one cannot see or reverse-engineer the elliptical function (the matter). The reason has gotten lost (also in the other border case of the ellipse, in which the two focal points are very close, then the form is a circle). In a sign, the reason for sending the sign has been to transport a meaning. If someone does not see the meaning, but only the sign-vehicle, then for him the meaning, the reason for the sign, the matter of the sign, has gotten lost. If an alien visiting the earth first meets some penguins and dolphins, he/she/it  probably does not see, that their fins have evolved from wings and legs, because the wing- and leg- aspects of the fins are degenerate, i.e. the generation of wings and legs is not present in the fins anymore.
Best,
Helmut

 17. Dezember 2015 um 18:42 Uhr
 "Clark Goble" <cl...@lextek.com>