Degenerateness, I think, is a relation too. So, something may be (regarded for) degenerate, if you look at it as a mode. Because degeneracy is a trait of modes. But if you look at the same thing regarding it for a sign (a triadic sign), then degeneracy is not something you can assign to it. And anything can be interpreted for a triadic sign. It is the point of view that makes it. Anyway, I think, that "degenerate" is merely a Peircean technical term, and has nothing to do with the opposite of  "to generate". Subsumption or classification has to do with generation and inheritance: This is a one-way-affair, in which there is only generation, but never a degeneration. In compositional hierarchy you may say, that something complex is made of less complex things, and ok, you may substitute "less complex" with "degenerate", but that also has nothing to do with the opposite of  "to generate". All in all, I merely wanted to say, that I do not like the term "degenerate", because it leads to nothing but astray.
Best,
Helmut

16. Dezember 2015 um 20:48 Uhr
"Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>

Jeff - please see my comments below:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Brian Downard" <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>
To: "'Peirce-L'" <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:19 PM
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] RE: signs, correlates, and triadic relations

Edwina, List,

There are a number of claims that you make about how we should read Peirce's
texts that call out for some digging in the texts to see whether they fit
with what Peirce says. Let me start with this one about the character of
relatively degenerate signs. ET: "Therefore, I reject your view that the
"Qualisign is degenerate relative to the Sinsign and to the Legisign ".
It's the Relations in their categorical modes that are genuine or
degenerate; i.e., the modes are genuine/degenerate. Not the Signs.

1) JEFF: It is clear that Peirce treats the classification of the relations
between sign and dynamical object as more or less degenerate. He says, for
instance, that: Of these three genera of representamens, the Icon is the
Qualitatively degenerate, the Index the Reactionally degenerate, while the
Symbol is the relatively genuine genus. CP 5.73

EDWINA: I view the above, as outlining that the Relations are degenerate or
genuine with regard to a Representamen in a mode of Thirdness. So, the
Relation with the Dynamic Object in a mode of Firstness would be 3-1
(Thirdness in a mode of Firstness) which produces an iconic relation. The
Relation with the DO in a mode of Secondness would be 3-2, an indexical
Relation. And the Relation with the DO in a mode of Thirdness is 3-3, or
'pure' [genuine] Thirdness.
Now - what if the Relation were instead, in a mode of Secondness? [2-2,
2-1].

2) JEFF: What textual evidence do we have for thinking that the distinction
between signs based on the mode in which they are apprehended (i.e.,
qualisign, sinsign, legislign) is or is not based on more and less
degenerate kinds? I think the question is pretty clearly answered in CP
2.265 where he applies the notions of degenerate and genuine to each of the
three main classifications that he considers in NDTR.

EDWINA: Again, I think we must be careful in what we mean by 'sign'. By
Sign, I refer to the full triad. Peirce sometimes refers to the full triad
as a sign, and often only to the Representamen. Again, I don't consider that
the 'nodes' in themselves are genuine or degenerate for they don't exist 'in
themselves'; they exist only within the triadic relation; therefore, only
the Relations are genuine/degenerate.
And I don't see where in the 2.265 outline, there is any discussion of
genuine or degenerate relations. There is one outline of a triad in a full
mode of Secondness; the rest are mixed.

3) JEFF: In a separate remark, you claim that all signs are embodied.
Having looked at what Peirce says about the embodiment of a sign, the basic
idea is that a sign is embodied when it is realized in an instance where the
sign is a token (i.e., a sinsign). Peirce makes it clear that a sign does
not need to be embodied in token instance in order for it to be a sign. A
qualisign, for instance, is an abstraction that represents possible
feelings.

EDWINA: Again, please clarify your terminology. When you use the term
'sign', do you mean a Representamen? Again, a Sign, to me, is a full triad.
The three 'nodes' of the triad do not exist per se in themselves. Therefore,
the Representamen, that site-of-mediation, cannot exist per se except within
the interaction of mediation. When it is in this interaction, it must be
embodied; it can't exist 'in thin air'! I reject Platonism.
When the Representamen is in a mode of Firstness [a qualisign] - it is NOT
an abstraction (which is an intellectual construct] but the pure unanalyzed
feeling - and that qualisign never exists, again, per se, but only within
the full triad of a Rhematic Iconic Qualisign.