Jerry C,

I’d like to constrain my conversation in light of Peirce’s system of logic,
which is summarized in his formal expression of abduction (CP 5.189).

Given:

C = the surface of things, the comprehensive, the breadth of the matter (CP
4.543)

A = the heart of things, the precise, the depth of the matter

An alternative arrangement gives:

from C, and A => C, infer A,

which should appeal clearly to your statement:

”My interest for several decades has been on the antecedent-consequent
relation between a mutation and the change in an organism”

So, in answer to your questions:

I used the terms “bizarre and ridiculous” as a public service announcement
to bring attention to Snow’s discussion of the Two Cultures problem.  That
is, coming to agreement about evolutionary transformation involves more
than that which can be answered from “do you find hydrogen bonding or
handedness of molecules bizarre”?  See for instance Cartwright’s response
in the following:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_current_state_of_knowledge_regarding_the_inheritance_of_chirality

To summarize, it’s not a simple matter to go from hydrogen bonding to
explaining conserved phenotypes that stimulate our inquisitive nature
shaped by experience.  The distance is too great and involves sensibility
and respect for ongoing research.

Best,

Jerry R