Jerry R., List:

I appreciate your efforts to clarify where you would like to take this
discussion, but I must continue to confess that "I do not understand
you," although I would certainly not characterize myself as "an angry man"
in this context. :-)

JR:  "That is, the possibility for resolution of the tension between icon
and index actually contributes to the inquirer conceiving of his hypothesis
with favor."

What icon?  What index?  What tension between them?

JR:  "My *hypothesis*, which should incite genuine doubt, is that [surprise
and suspect] ought to be considered as a single term of an inverted
syllogism and that this was Peirce’s intention."

How do you propose that we should go about testing this hypothesis?  I have
been explaining all along that Peirce clearly had a specific *deductive*
syllogism in mind when he wrote EP 2.414, not the form of inference for
abduction that we find in CP 5.189.  I and others have also pointed out
that, contrary to treating surprise and suspect as a single term within the
reasoning process, abduction is motivated by the former to dissolve it by
producing the latter.  Why do you find this role insufficient and/or
unsatisfying?