Jon,

Yes, it is odd that I should cite something I haven’t read carefully.  My
explanation is that I recognized the general structure of his argument and
am occupied by other matters.  Moreover, I don’t believe you would accept
the reference as the “burst-like” reason you seek to transform your belief.
Those are not the type of reasons one accepts for such matters.

As per “Wirth explicitly introduces "the background-presupposition B" as
his own suggestion”,

Yes, that's right.  But if one doesn’t introduce it by chance, then who has
the right to do that?  Only Peirce?  I mean, if one is not allowed to
introduce new ideas in abduction, when *is* one allowed or is it the case
that it is never allowed?

As per “He goes on to assert that "The 'surprising fact' is the incoherent
relation between C and B"--which actually contradicts CP 5.189, where the
surprising fact is C itself.”

How is a fact ever surprising in itself?

For example, the fact that B is missing is surprising to me because of the
body of Peirce’s work.

The fact that B is missing is not surprising to you because it’s simply not
even recognized by you.  That is, (C and A) is equivalent to (B and A) or
even (Z and A).

Besides, the more correct statement is “the surprising fact C is *observed*”,
which cannot mean that it is observed by no one because something is not
observed in itself.

As per “If anything, B simply explains WHY the fact C is surprising; it is
the prior belief that is falsified by the observation of C, prompting the
struggle to formulate an alternative hypothesis A”

Yes, that’s right.  But what is the structure of a why-explanation other
than what you just said?  That is, B becomes necessary.  You need the
surprise because it contradicts a prior expectation that motivates a search
for some hypothesis that resolves the wonder (c.f., NA).  Not all
hypotheses A qualifies because if you ask me “why no B?”, you won’t accept
simply any answer and will continue to ask “Why no B?” until you’re
satisfied by a statement that is closest to: “I, Charles Sanders Peirce,
mean to point out that B is the reader, or at least the interpretant for a
community of inquirers who are fated to share the same opinion” (CP 9.112).
There is no CP 9, of course, or did I need to state that explicitly?

As per “For the beans example, B is evidently something like "these beans
are from bags that contain only non-white beans," which--as a
background-presupposition--would obviously make it surprising to observe
that "these beans are white."

Yes, that’s right but B gets transformed in the process because
“suspect”.  However,
you make an important point.  It’s hard (not natural) for me to imagine why
these should be beans that I ought to expect to be from a bag of non-white
beans.  This is one reason why I dislike the beans example.  However, I get
that a major reason for beans and bags is the convenience with which to
experiment with syllogistic structure.

As per “In any case, B is still not included anywhere WITHIN the form of
inference for abduction in CP 5.189 or the corresponding (deductive)
syllogism that Peirce invokes elsewhere.”

Yes, that’s right.  But this is why I asked you about the importance of
triadic thought in Peirce’s philosophy and in philosophy in general.  If
you understood this, you wouldn’t even bother to ask this question.  That
is, if no three, no Peirce.

Moreover, here is where I would invoke Strauss’ account of the difference
between exoteric/esoteric writing.  The reason I give for missing B is an
assertion that Peirce’s intention is driven by his desire to teach “obscure
matters, i.e., of making them understood, and to the requirements of
speaking, or writing, of such matters.  The contradictions caused by the
former are bound to be known to the teacher (provided he did not make them
deliberately), and they escape the pupil until he has reached an advanced
stage of training; that is to say, they certainly escape the vulgar...

…The context in which a statement occurs, and the literary character of the
whole work as well as its plan must be perfectly understood before an
interpretation of the statement can reasonably claim to be adequate or even
correct.  One is not entitled to delete a passage, nor to emend its text,
before one has fully considered all reasonable possibilities of
understanding the passage as it stands- one of these possibilities being
that the passage may be ironic.  If a master of the art of writing commits
such blunders as would shame an intelligent high school boy, it is
reasonable to assume that they are intentional, especially if the author
discusses, however incidentally, the possibility of intentional blunders in
writing.”~Strauss

The blunder here is (C and A) and not (B and A).  Strauss goes on to
describe the expectation that such views will create conflict between
traditionalists, who operate with the expectation that proof is only in
explicit, literal meanings of whatever is contained within the immediate
text itself, and “higher critics” who seek a different unity based on the
entire oeuvre of the philosopher.  But this basically creates a different
question.  What is Peirce’s intentionality for CP 5.189, the form abduction
*ought* to take, and are there clues as to why no B elsewhere?

Is this evidence?

“A *sign* is something, *A*, which brings something, *B*, its *interpretant*
sign, determined or created by it, into the same sort of correspondence (or
a lower implied sort) with something, *C*, its *object*, as that in which
itself stands to *C*.

A *sign* is a thing which serves to convey knowledge of some other thing,
which it is said to *stand for* or *represent*. This thing is called the
*object* of the sign; the idea in the mind that the sign excites, which is
a mental sign of the same object, is called an *interpretant* of the sign.

…a sign has, as such, *three references*: 1st, it is a sign *to* some
thought which *interprets* it; 2d, it is a *sign* *for* some object to
which in that thought it is equivalent; 3d, it is a sign, *in* some respect
or quality, which brings it into connection with its *object*.”

That is, one, two, three...object, sign, interpretant...C, A, B...icon,
index, symbol...

Spiritedness over desire as ally of reason is on the way to a well-ordered
soul.

Hth,

Jerry Rhee

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com