> On Jun 24, 2016, at 3:30 PM, Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I understand it like "mean", "average" and "normal" are necessary traits of
> any predicate, and there is no predicate but within communication, and "mean"
> is the common aspect of the communicated subject, "average" is the
> agreed-about aspect of it, and "normal" is the standardising aspect.

Sorry for the delay answering. Got busy.

While I get the idea your after, I’m not sure it’s really that correct. If
we’re talking about predicates (rhemes?) then there’s a set of communications
(broadly defined) tied to it. (Both in terms of past and future) There’s a
certain shape to those communications that I think exceeds terms like average
or mode. Which is why I originally objected to the term. Average often reduces
something fairly complex to a single value conceptually which is misleading.

That said, as I argued, I still think there’s something to the word. Just not
in any statistical sense ultimately even by analogy.

To demonstrate what I’m talking about think a graph like the following.
(Obviously meant just as analogy - obviously communication of a predicate can’t
be reduced to a graph like this)