Jon, list:

Perhaps it is our conceit that we should only look for the answer to your
question in Peirce only:

“And thought thinks on itself because it shares the nature of the object of
thought; for it becomes an object of thought in coming into contact with
and thinking its objects, so that thought and object of thought are the
same. For that which is capable of receiving the object of thought, i.e.
the essence, is thought. But it is active when it possesses this object.
Therefore the possession rather than the receptivity is the divine element
which thought seems to contain, and the act of contemplation is what is
most pleasant and best.

If, then, *God* is always in that good state in which we sometimes are, *this
compels our wonder*; and if in a better this compels it yet more. And God
is in a better state. And life also belongs to God; for the actuality of
thought is life, and God is that actuality; and God’s self-dependent
actuality is life most good and eternal. We say therefore that God is a
living being, eternal, most good, so that life and duration continuous and
eternal belong to God; for this is God.

… For the *theory of Ideas* has no special discussion of the subject…”

Aristotle, *Metaphysics  Book XII*

Hth,

Jerry Rhee

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>