Edwina, List:

Your response is based entirely on something that Peirce wrote in 1871, as
if his thought on this subject did not evolve any further in the remaining
43 years of his life.  In fact, 21 years later (1892), in "Man's Glassy
Essence" (1892), he specifically referred to "Some Consequences of Four
Incapacities," written only three years earlier (1868), and stated, "my
views were, then, too nominalistic" (CP 6.270).  According to Max Fisch
(see W5.xlv), he was a one-category (Thirdness) realist until about 1890,
when he acknowledged the reality of actualities (Secondness); and he did
not become a three-category realist until about 1897, when he finally
accepted the reality of possibilities (Firstness).

In any case, since this thread was prompted by "A Neglected Argument for
the Reality of God," I primarily had in mind what he wrote in that work--37
years later, in 1908.

CSP:  "Real" is a word invented in the thirteenth century to signify having
Properties, i.e. characters sufficing to identify their subject, and
possessing these whether they be anywise attributed to it by any single man
or group of men, or not ... The "Actual" is that which is met with in the
past, present, or future. (CP 6.453)

CSP:  Of the three Universes of Experience familiar to us all, the first
comprises all mere Ideas, those airy nothings to which the mind of poet,
pure mathematician, or another might give local habitation and a name
within that mind.  Their very airy-nothingness, the fact that their Being
consists in mere capability of getting thought, not in anybody's Actually
thinking them, saves their Reality.  The second Universe is that of the
Brute Actuality of things and facts.  I am confident that their Being
consists in reactions against Brute forces, notwithstanding objections
redoubtable until they are closely and fairly examined.  The third Universe
comprises everything whose being consists in active power to establish
connections between different objects, especially between objects in
different Universes.  Such is everything which is essentially a Sign--not
the mere body of the Sign, which is not essentially such, but, so to speak,
the Sign's Soul, which has its Being in its power of serving as
intermediary between its Object and a Mind. (CP 6.455)

Ideas are Real by virtue of their "mere capability of getting thought, not
in anybody's Actually thinking them."  A Sign is Real by virtue of its
"active power to establish connections between different objects,
especially objects in different Universes," not its mere embodiment, which
is not essential to its Being.  Things and facts are Real because "their
Being consists in reactions against Brute forces"; i.e., they *exist*.

Regards,

Jon