Gary F., List:

GF: That rules out pantheism, but not, I think, panentheism, which (as I
understand it) holds that Nature is immanent in God, not the other way
round.

Hmm, my admittedly limited understanding of panentheism is that it affirms
God to be somehow both immanent and transcendant; so flatly denying
immanence would seem to rule it out.  Apparently there are lots of
varieties, though.

GF:  Anyway, I think the fact that in revising his drafts for publication,
Peirce reduced the ascription of “Infinite Benignity” (R 843) to a
conditional clause in the NA, could signify a well-considered reluctance to
assert it.

Again, fair enough.

GF:  Maybe it’s unfair of me to comment on this “at one sitting,” but I
find this reply unconvincing, because it appears to rest partly on the
premiss that the “life to come” is an *individual *life. I see no logical
reason to accept that premiss. Consequently I don’t think Peirce has met
the objection that challenges the connection between *the Reality of God*
and *logic as semeiotic*. I’m inclined to think that connection is just as
vague as other features of the NA — and that your efforts here have done
just about all that can be done to reduce that vagueness.

Also fair enough; perhaps this is why Peirce did not end up including that
objection and response in the published text--although, since it comes from
the first additament, it may have been *The Hibbert Journal* that omitted
it by printing the second additament instead--and/or why the CP editors
chose to omit it.

Thanks,