Jon, thanks for this, and for your later post, which clears things up
considerably. Just a couple of responses:

JS: In R 843, he states that the NA pertains to "the Being whose Attributes
are, in the main, those usually ascribed to Him, Omniscience, Omnipotence,
Infinite Benignity, a Being not 'immanent in' the Universes of Matter, Mind,
and Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every content of them, without exception."

GF:  If the former, this use of the term “God” would make Peirce a pantheist or
panentheist ...

JS: Pantheism and panentheism both seem to be ruled out by Peirce's explicit
denial in at least two drafts, including the one quoted above, that God--as he
defines the term--is "immanent in Nature."

GF: That rules out pantheism, but not, I think, panentheism, which (as I
understand it) holds that Nature is immanent in God, not the other way round.
Anyway, I think the fact that in revising his drafts for publication, Peirce
reduced the ascription of “Infinite Benignity” (R 843) to a conditional clause
in the NA, could signify a well-considered reluctance to assert it. But enough
theology …

JS: CP 6.491 includes his description of the objection that "man's power of
guessing at the truth" could simply be--like the instincts of animals to which
he compared it--"entirely explained by the action of natural selection," and
thus inapplicable to metaphysical matters like the Reality of God.  However,
for some reason the editors left out Peirce's response that immediately follows
in R 844.

CSP:  This opens an interesting question of logic to which I have devoted much
study, with the result of fully satisfying myself that man's power of divining
the truth is not so circumscribed.  My reply to this objection could not be
given here nor in any piece to be read at one sitting.  My reply would show
that whatever general conduct of a race would fit or disfit its individuals to
the life to come, may be expected also to adapt or maladapt the race itself to
maintaining its footing in this world; and further to show, through its
pragmaticistic interpretation, that the belief in the Ens necessarium would
according as it were true or false, fit or disfit individuals to eternal life
hereafter.  And consequently, natural selection naturally will act here on
earth to the cultivation of this belief, if it be true, and to its suppression
if it be false, just as it acts in respect to ordinary morality.

GF: Maybe it’s unfair of me to comment on this “at one sitting,” but I find
this reply unconvincing, because it appears to rest partly on the premiss that
the “life to come” is an individual life. I see no logical reason to accept
that premiss. Consequently I don’t think Peirce has met the objection that
challenges the connection between the Reality of God and logic as semeiotic.
I’m inclined to think that connection is just as vague as other features of the
NA — and that your efforts here have done just about all that can be done to
reduce that vagueness.

And as Jeff said, thanks for pointing to the SPIN project which gave you access
to the manuscripts. The more Peirceans start using it, the better!

Gary f.