From: Jerry Rhee [mailto:jerryr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2016 5:52 AM
To: Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com<mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com>>
Cc: Clark Goble <cl...@lextek.com<mailto:cl...@lextek.com>>; Peirce-L
<PEIRCE-L@list.iupui.edu<mailto:PEIRCE-L@list.iupui.edu>>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Theory of Thinking

Hi everyone:

"We can then (inductively) experiment with actual diamonds to find out whether,
in fact, this is the case."

Where is genuine doubt?

Thanks,
Jerry R

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt
<jonalanschm...@gmail.com<mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Clark, List:

As (hopefully) clarified in my subsequent messages, I am not saying that the PM
itself is "deductive"; rather, it serves as the rule for admitting hypotheses
to the deductive stage of inquiry once they have been produced and
justified--because they plausibly account for the facts--by abduction.

CSP:  For the maxim of pragmatism is that a conception can have no logical
effect or import differing from that of a second conception except so far as,
taken in connection with other conceptions and intentions, it might conceivably
modify our practical conduct differently from that second conception.  Now it
is indisputable that no rule of abduction would be admitted by any philosopher
which should prohibit on any formalistic grounds any inquiry as to how we ought
in consistency to shape our practical conduct.  Therefore, a maxim which looks
only to possibly practical considerations will not need any supplement in order
to exclude any hypotheses as inadmissible.  What hypotheses it admits all
philosophers would agree ought to be admitted.  On the other hand, if it be
true that nothing but such considerations has any logical effect or import
whatever, it is plain that the maxim of pragmatism cannot cut off any kind of
hypothesis which ought to be admitted.  Thus, the maxim of pragmatism, if true,
fully covers the entire logic of abduction. (CP 5.196)

My earlier point was that identifying how a conception "might conceivably
modify our practical conduct" seems like (deductive) explication to me--the
hypothesis that a diamond is hard means, for one thing, "that it will not be
scratched by many other substances" (CP 5.403).  We can then (inductively)
experiment with actual diamonds to find out whether, in fact, this is the case.
 In Peirce's words that I quoted previously, the PM also "cut[s] down the
premisses of deduction" by rejecting hypotheses that have no bearing on
"possibly practical considerations," and thus do not warrant any further
attention.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Clark Goble