Edwina, List:

ET:  And that can be acceptable even if one defines these atemporal
aspatial Platonic world[s] as nothing for in a very real sense, they WERE
'nothing' - being aspatial and atemporal.

Only if you *presuppose *that only that which is spatial and temporal can
be "something."  Peirce does not impose that requirement; in his
terminology, the Platonic worlds are *real*, even though they do not *exist*
.

ET:  I don't see why continuity and generality require a 'super-order and
super-habit'.

According to Peirce in CP 6.490, it is because otherwise, "the three
universes must actually be absolutely necessary results of a state of utter
nothingness"; that is, "A state in which there should be absolutely no
super-order whatsoever."  But in such a state, absolutely nothing is
absolutely necessary; in fact, there cannot be *any *Being whatsoever,
since "all Being involves some kind of super-order ... Any such super-order
would be a super-habit. Any general state of things whatsoever would be a
super-order and a super-habit."

ET:  I think this is a basic disagreement among those of us who are theists
vs non-theists!

Probably so.  It seems to come down to whether one finds it plausible
that *everything
*could have come from *nothing*.