Dear Auke & al.

It seems to me that you are on the right tract, but in a way CSP did not share. And going along a tract, wich leads nowhere.

Although the main interest of CSP lied in science, his starting point was "babes and suclings", (just google this) As have been mine, even before I had any knowledge whatsoever of Peirce.

This is were my work, since 1970's comes in. In English their is not much to rely on. See, however, my astract for Applying Peirde conference, at Helsinki 2007. Available in internet.I have provided Eugene Halton with the handout in the conference. Which he has quoted several times. Lately in a book chapter of his.

The problem with your approach, as with almost all others, lies in taking ADULTS as the starting point. And then taking science as the the more restricted starting point. - No one, however is bourn as *a Fichtean philosopher* , as Marx end Engels pointed out, nor as an adult, nor as a scientist.

Firstness comes first. Both in real life, in metaphysics and in semiotics. - C.S Peirce did not cherish this händicap.

Sheets of assertion serve as ground (in the more general sense) only within teh system of existential graphs. Which is the only mode of graphs CSP comleted to his satifaction.

It does not, however, follow that he consided them to be the key, the part and parcel of his diagrammatic method.

It is just the easest to grasp for in cultural cnditions where nominalistic ways of thought retain the upper händ.

Eugene Halton has written an excellent paper on Peirce and the distorted view Morris spread around early on. The article titled " Situation, Structure and ... * I also find valid´, even excellent.

I personally came across the dominance of Secondness by makind a thorough inspection on Umberto Eco and his references to Collected Papers in his book Theory of Semiotics. I was to make a selection for a study cirle on CSP. Quite a reluctant one, for that matter. It was late 1970's.

It was only later that I realized how narrow and misleading was Eco's presentation. - It still seems to have the upper hand. In one form or another.

Existential graphs are all about Secondness. The other parts never got completed by CSP. Not even outlined, at leasta in the selections so far published.

All serious, devoted Peirceans know that triadicity forms the key to all Peircean thought. No taking Secondness as the one and only.

With you, Auke, I have had some rewarding exchange of communication early on, after I joined the List.

This is why I take this time to comment your post. - You do as you wish. - I'll do the same after reading your response. If so happens that you'll write one.

My very best wishes to you!

Kirsti Määttänen