Auke, list:

I think what you just said is expressible by seeking explanations for
same/different in the following:

“Only *everybody* can know the truth.” ~Goethe, more or less…

“The opinion which is fated to be ultimately agreed to by all who
investigate, is what we mean by the truth, and the object represented in
this opinion is the real.” ~Peirce

_______

As to the individual/community issue, here is an excerpt from Peirce,

“…*the progress of science cannot go far except by collaboration; or, to
speak more accurately, no mind can take one step without the aid of other
minds*.”…

I don’t think this has to be taken literally (since education of young and
old), but it does speak to the reality of how complicated knowledge is,
nowadays.  Regardless, the community cannot be happy without individuals of
that community; us and our neighbors.  We seek to do well and by doing
well, to fare well.

What better than to know something of great benefit to mankind and to share
it?  But how to share it when a single method *appears* to lead to
different convictions about problems and solutions?  I think this is
implied of your statement:

“It is my contention that although Peirce had a keen eye on both strains of
thought and enterprise, he was hampered in building a system of semiotics
by his preference for the communal or scientific ideal.”

I tend to think he *succeeded* but to say this is a statement of more or
less.

More or less, depending on to what you are looking.

Semiotic or abduction?  …Or abduction using semiotic?  Or abduction using
computation?... Or abduction using experimentation?… Or abduction using
experimentation and computation and semiotic…

Which are all ways of saying abduction…. Or experimentation… or semiosis…
or science… or….

Best,

Jerry R