> On Nov 25, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> So, if Peirce wrote things about democracy, was opposed to female suffrage,
> and thought that a community should be ruled by an authoritative government,
> then I think that this is not relevant. He was out on a limb then, I
> presumptuously guess.

One should note that the Burkean style of conservative was opposed to suffrage.
It then quickly embraced it once it became clear (especially in the UK) that
women actually shared their views on most matters. While again I’m not sure of
Peirce’s views here, his critical common sensism clearly shows some influence
from the broad contours of Burkeanism and its concern for tradition.

A way of viewing this is that this style of conservatism requires a burden of
proof to be met for significant change. (I’d say radical, but that’s perhaps
too strong given the tendency to fear radical change and fight against it) In a
certain way the level of democratic consensus necessary for these changes is a
way of meeting that burden. Thus the small c conservatives would oppose change
precisely in order in a community level for this burden to be met. Once met and
it didn’t show significant practical problems then these types of Burkeans
would consider it part of their tradition and become strong defenders. This
method seems very alien and confusing but is a significant part of conservatism
in both the American and British traditions. As I said I strongly suspect
that’s where Peirce is.