Jon, Clark, List,

For now just a quick response to a couple points Jon made. He wrote:

Part of the challenge is that we all tend to spend most of our time in echo
chambers where our own views are just obvious to everyone, and we cannot
imagine how or why someone would see things differently.  I am talking
about myself as much as anyone else.  Persuasion is becoming a lost art,
mostly because we are too busy talking (or yelling) to listen and consider
carefully what "the other side" has to say.

I agree "that we all tend to spend most of our time in echo chambers," and
I will, of course, include myself as inhabiting such a communication
bubble. While I try to expose myself to views different from my own--that
is, I occasionally make a special effort to do so--I don't do this very
often, and I tend toward an immediate critique of such opposing views
which, in effect, cancels them out.

Perhaps if we could get out of our "echo chambers" we'd find that we *could*
reach consensus on what consitutes 'wicked problems'--I believe that there
*may* truly be some--and even how we might approach solutions to them. But,
especially social media makes this consensus building seem less and less
likely.

To clarify--in the context of an off-List discussion, I was talking about
how the courts short-circuited the democratic process on those two
matters.  I think that it is much more legitimate within our form of
government for major social changes like these to come about by persuasion
of the majority to revise laws, rather than judicial imposition of
"constitutional rights" that have no clear basis in the actual text.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I knew you were speaking of the courts
 and should have chosen a better example.

As for what constitutes certain "constitutional rights" having no clear
basis in the actual text of the Constitution, I think that that is a matter
of interpretation which I, personally, do not feel qualified to make.

In other words, I favor bottom-up solutions over top-down ones.  I suspect
(but cannot prove) that Peirce would have, as well.

I prefer to find a value in the 'tension' between bottom-up and top-down
solutions which Clark hinted at. I'm not at all sure what Peirce's
preferences would be in this matter.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]