Clark, John, list,

I think we need to distinguish between pragmaticist meaningfulness, - clarity of conceivable, imaginable practical implications - and questions of methodeutic economy of inquiry.

   [Quote Peirce]
   Thirdly, if pragmatism is the doctrine that every conception is a
   conception of conceivable practical effects, it makes conception
   reach far beyond the practical. It allows any flight of imagination,
   provided this imagination ultimately alights upon a possible
   practical effect; and thus many hypotheses may seem at first glance
   to be excluded by the pragmatical maxim that are not really so
   excluded.
   [From "Pragmatism — the Logic of Abduction" CP 5.196, end of
   paragraph http://www.textlog.de/7663.html , also EP 2:235]

The economics of inquiry sometimes has to take a more hard-headed, cost-benefit analysis approach, but Peirce emphasizes that much research takes many generations. The question is not whether we can test distinctive predictions tomorrow or next week, but instead is of whether the theoretical research is currently fruitful in any sense. Physicists argue about it. It looks to me like there has been progress, quite a wealth of ideas, but what do I know? It's very challenging, going up against extremes of large and small. Anyway, it really is the nature of physics to seek to unify accounts of phenomena, so the effort toward unification of quantum field theory and general relativity in a theory of quantum gravity is not a matter of whether, but of when. QFT and GR are both highly constraining, so the versions of quantum gravity that can meet those constraints will not be too numerous. Perhaps people will prove mathematically that only one or a few incompatible versions of quantum gravity can meet those constraints, and given that various seemingly incompatible versions have turned out to be equivalent or proper subsets, such will be another avenue toward the establishment of a theory of quantum gravity. And again, I think it would be pessimistic to rule out tests of distinctive predictions from string theory within our lifetimes. People get impatient. Peirce wrote, somewhat tongue in cheek, I admit:

   Give science only a hundred more centuries of increase in
   geometrical progression, and she may be expected to find that the
   sound waves of Aristotle's voice have somehow recorded themselves.
   ["Reason's Rules," MS circa 1902, CP 5.542, near the paragraph's end]

Best, Ben