Peircers,

I ran across this amusing and ever-timely exchange
while reviewing and archiving some old discussions:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061014000954/http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-September/000845.html

Context:

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/User:Jon_Awbrey/Philosophical_Notes#DIEP._Note_5
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/User:Jon_Awbrey/Philosophical_Notes#DIEP._Discussion_Note_1

Regards,

Jon

On 11/23/2016 1:23 AM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
Gary, List,

In my mind the connection between Peirce and Democracy
has long revolved about the concept of representation.

Representation in its semiotic sense has to do with
signs that represent pragmatic objects to agents and
communities of interpretation.

Representation in its political sense has to do with
forms of government that address the “res publica”,
the public concern, through elected representatives
who represent, hopefully, the good will and the best
information of the public at large in their stations
at the rudders of the ship of state.  Here the twin
senses of representation converge on the common root
meaning of the words “cybernetics” and “government”.

I know I've written a lot about this over the years
but weeks of watching “The Death of a Nation” on TV
have me too exhausted to say any more on the subject.

I did happen on a recent blog post that seems to fit here:

Theory and Therapy of Representations • 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2016/03/13/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-%e2%80%a2-1/

Statistics were originally the data that a ship of state needed
for stationkeeping and staying on course.  The Founders of the
United States, like the Cybernauts of the Enlightenment they
were, engineered a ship of state with checks and ballasts
and error-controlled feedbacks to achieve the bicameral
purpose of representing both reality and the will of
the people.  And Max Weber understood that a state's
accounting systems were intended as representations
of realities that its crew and passengers must
observe or perish.

The question for today is —

What are the forces that distort our representations
of what's observed, what's expected, and what's intended?

Regards,

Jon

--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey