Charles, List,

Let's consider Peirce's logical graphs at the alpha level, the abstract forms
of which can be interpreted for propositional logic. I say “can be interpreted”
advisedly because the system of graphs themselves form an uninterpreted syntax,
the formulas of which have no fixed meaning until interpreted. As it happens,
the forms themselves do not determine their interpretations uniquely. There is
at minimum a degree of freedom that allows them to be interpreted in two
different ways, corresponding to what Peirce called his entitative graphs and
existential graphs.

Bringing this to bear on the empty sheet of assertion we have the following
facts:

The blank SA is a symbol and wants interpretation to give it a meaning. Under
the entitative reading (En) it means “false”.  Under the existential reading
(Ex) it means “true”.  What these mean demands a further, denotative
interpretation relative to the universe of discourse at hand, “true” denoting
the whole universe and “false” denoting the empty set.

Regards,

Jon