Supplement:
Is there a crisis of systems theory, like I am feeling? If so, I have the hunch, that the reason for that is the blunt "Network" metaphor, whose wide use blocks the inquiry about structures, scales, continuity, processes, and so on. I feel, that the "Network" concept is normative in the way that it makes us think in a technocratic, instrumentalizing, neoliberalistic and digital way, and is wrong. But I want to exclude from this pre-critical feeling the use of the word "Network" by Norbert Elias, who, I think, uses it more elaborate, processural, and not so bluntly.
List,
I guess it might help to talk about time (and space) scales now, and about systems hierarchies with the sytems having different time (and space) scales. I think that synechism is connected to (Peircean) monism.
Eg. the dualism of mind and matter: Matter is effete mind. "Effete" is an unusual word for me (non-native speaker of English language), I think it means "weakened" or "exhausted". I would say, if something, some piece of mind, is exhausted, it goes slower, changes its time scale towards very slow.
With this slowliness, situations are conserved longer in their attractive states , meaning: Attractors (chaos theory) have a longer time of persistence, and it looks for faster (non-effete mind), as if there were discrete states countable with integer numbers.
I guess, that attractors are not like a trap, like once they occur, they remain forever, but that they remain only as long as a certain situation exists for them to keep them up.
So I think, that the obvious existence of discretenesses or integer numbers in nature is not a sign for dualism, but for the interaction of systems, positioned differently regarding their hierarchy towards each other, and their different time and space scales.
How all this is working and interacting exactly, would be interesting to argue about and to find out. I have the impression, that Peirce did not care much about this scale-problem, so I think that interdisciplinarity would be good. I think, that Stanley N. Salthe (Hi Stan!) might have something to contribute, and anybody occupied with systems theory, but I have the impression, that there nowadays is not much about systems theory, except when it is about psychological family-therapy or computing, which both I am not interested in. I rather am interested in natural sciences, like physics and biology (Why is the first plural, BTW, and the second singular? Non-native-speakers-question) and sociology.
Best,
Helmut

 04. März 2017 um 18:21 Uhr