Interesting discussion, but one that bothers me a bit due to my reading of
Boscovic as an undergrad and my familiarity with the Scottish “Common Sense”
philosophers.

My understanding of Boscovician atoms is that they are centres od force fields
that very in sign and intensity, being effective over varying distances. The
overall effect is a sinusoidal liker wave centred on the atom. In this sense
Boscovician atoms are not points, but have an extended scope, which varies with
distance. The point aspect stems from this filed being zero at the centre, all
the effects stemming from more distant fields centred on the atom.

The Scottish Common Sense Philosophers, Like Thomas Young (usually classed as
an empiricist) took the view that we should treat a phenomena as it appears,
irrespective of its real nature, until we know more. In the Boscovician case
this would mean treating atoms as very small, but with the Boscovician field
properties, without reference to their smaller nature or their real structure.
Young, the wave theorist, was a follower of this school, and so was, to some
extent Maxwell.

So I think it is historically misleading to compare Boscovician atomism with
continuous views – I see no contradiction – much as the problem might be
interest in itself. I am more than a little reluctant to set up metaphysical
problems that aren’t supported by the science itself, and I think it requires
careful and unbiased historical study to ensure this is enforced.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier