Jon Alan,

The notion of a non-conventional symbol shouldn’t be too difficult. In
Baldwin’s Dictionary, Peirce defined “symbol” as “A SIGN (q.v.) which is
constituted a sign merely or mainly by the fact that it is used and understood
as such, whether the habit is natural or conventional, and without regard to
the motives which originally governed its selection.”

Here’s another piece of that same Harvard lecture that seems relevant here
(EP2:184, CP 5.106-7):

“That thoughts act on the physical world and conversely, is one of the most
familiar of facts. Those who deny it are persons with whom theories are
stronger than facts. But how thoughts act on things it is impossible for us, in
the present state of our knowledge, so much as to make any very promising
guess; although, as I will show you presently, a guess can be made which
suffices to show that the problem is not beyond all hope of ultimate solution.

All this is equally true of the manner in which the laws of nature influence
matter. A law is in itself nothing but a general formula or symbol. An existing
thing is simply a blind reacting thing, to which not merely all generality, but
even all representation, is utterly foreign. The general formula may logically
determine another, less broadly general. But it will be of its essential nature
general, and its being narrower does not in the least constitute any
participation in the reacting character of the thing. Here we have that great
problem of the principle of individuation which the scholastic doctors after a
century of the closest possible analysis were obliged to confess was quite
incomprehensible to them. Analogy suggests that the laws of nature are ideas or
resolutions in the mind of some vast consciousness, who, whether supreme or
subordinate, is a Deity relatively to us. I do not approve of mixing up
Religion and Philosophy; but as a purely philosophical hypothesis, that has the
advantage of being supported by analogy. Yet I cannot clearly see that beyond
that support to the imagination it is of any particular scientific service.”

But note also that a few years later, Peirce wrote that “Since God, in His
essential character of Ens necessarium, is a disembodied spirit, and since
there is strong reason to hold that what we call consciousness is either merely
the general sensation of the brain or some part of it, or at all events some
visceral or bodily sensation, God probably has no consciousness” (CP6.489). Yet
he had earlier referred to God as a “vast consciousness.” I don’t want to get
into theological issues, but I think it’s possible that, given the necessary
vagueness of its terminology, the Ens necessarium/Creator God you believe in
may not be the same as the agency God that Edwina disbelieves in.

Gary f.