Gary F., List:

GF:  In Baldwin’s Dictionary, Peirce defined “symbol” as “A SIGN (q.v.)
which is constituted a sign merely or mainly by the fact that it is used
and understood as such, whether the habit is natural or conventional, and
without regard to the motives which originally governed its selection.”

This is very helpful.  My mistake has been thinking of the Sign-Object
relation as conventional for a Symbol, rather than more broadly habitual.

CSP:  Analogy suggests that the laws of nature are ideas or resolutions in
the mind of some vast consciousness, who, whether supreme or subordinate,
is a Deity relatively to us.

So, just as ideas or resolutions in a human mind result in actions by a
human body, likewise the laws of nature have existential effects within the
universe.

GF:  But note also that a few years later, Peirce wrote that “Since God, in
His essential character of *Ens necessarium*, is a disembodied spirit, and
since there is strong reason to hold that what we call consciousness is
either merely the general sensation of the brain or some part of it, or at
all events some visceral or bodily sensation, God probably has no
consciousness” (CP6.489).

I think that there is some equivocation on "consciousness" between the two
passages.  In the earlier one, it seems to me that Peirce may have chosen
that word mainly to avoid repeating "mind."  In the later one, he clearly
associated consciousness with bodily sensation and therefore 2ns or
existence, which (as I just mentioned in another post) he did not consider
to be applicable to God.

GF:  I don’t want to get into theological issues, but I think it’s possible
that, given the necessary vagueness of its terminology, the *Ens
necessarium/Creator* God you believe in may not be the same as the *agency *God
that Edwina disbelieves in.

That is an interesting suggestion, although I have a hard time seeing how
God could be the Creator *without *possessing agency.  I am reminded of
these remarks by Peirce.

CSP:  "God" is a vernacular word and, like all such words, but more than
almost any, is *vague*. No words are so well understood as vernacular
words, in one way; yet they are invariably vague; and of many of them it is
true that, let the logician do his best to substitute precise equivalents
in their places, still the vernacular words alone, for all their vagueness,
answer the principal purposes. This is emphatically the case with the very
vague word "God," which is not made less vague by saying that it imports
"infinity," etc., since those attributes are at least as vague. (CP 6.494;
c. 1906)

Thanks,