Gary R, Edwina, Jon S, list,

I probably shouldn’t intervene in this discussion, but I have to say (one more
time) that if we want to understand Peirce’s terms — especially what he means
by a triadic relation — we need to read them in the context where Peirce uses
them, not lift them out of their context and drop them into a scheme of our own
invention.

Edwina refers to an “'umbrella image' of the triad [1.347], which is something
like  a three spoked umbrella: -<.....but one can see even from this that there
are THREE spokes or Relations in that image.” But in its context, that image is
NOT a diagram of the S-O-I relation, the essential “sign relation.” That image
is in fact an existential graph with three “tails.”

The context, CP 1.343-9, is “From the “Lowell Lectures of 1903,” III, vol. 1,
3d Draught.” The larger context is the Lowell lectures (pieces of which are
unfortunately scattered here and there in the CP) and the Syllabus which Peirce
wrote to accompany them. The Syllabus of course includes the “Nomenclature and
Divisions of Triadic Relations”, which ought to be the go-to text for Peirce’s
explanation of the triadic relations involved in semiosis.

But even from the fragment published in CP 1.343-9, one can glean some of
Peirce’s key insights on the subject, given some slight acquaintance with
existential graphs. In graphs such as the one at 1.347, the lines (Peirce calls
them “tails” here) are lines of identity each representing that something
exists. The relation is represented in the graph by the labelled spot to which
they are all attached, and the three “tails” are the relata. In propositional
terms, the graph represents a predicate (the spot) with three subjects, (i.e.
with a “valency” of three). To read the lines in the graph as relations is to
misread the graph. The graph is itself a diagrammatic sign, but there is no
attempt to represent its object(s) or its interpretant on the sheet of
assertion. In fact, I have never seen, anywhere in Peirce’s writings, an
attempt to represent the basic triadic sign relation in a single diagram. I
think the reason is simple: that kind of triadic relation cannot be represented
that way. But if someone can show me a text where Peirce has done that, I’ll
happily retract that claim.

This would explain, by the way, why it is that Edwina “can't 'imagize' what
'one triadic Relation' would look like or how it would function.” If you
represent relations as lines (or “spokes”), you can only represent dyadic
relations. Then Peirce’s graph can only appear to you as a triad of (dyadic)
relations.

Gary’s point about the time dimension is crucial here: existential graphs are
“moving pictures of thought” in which semiosis is represented by
transformations of the graphs. I think an attentive reading of CP 1.343-9
should clarify why it is that the essential sign relation, and the Thirdness of
semiosis, cannot be adequately represented in a single image. In that passage,
Peirce is trying to give an experiential account of Thirdness and triadic
relations to his audience. CP 1.345:

“I will sketch a proof that the idea of meaning is irreducible to those of
quality and reaction. It depends on two main premisses. The first is that every
genuine triadic relation involves meaning, as meaning is obviously a triadic
relation. The second is that a triadic relation is inexpressible by means of
dyadic relations alone. Considerable reflexion may be required to convince
yourself of the first of these premisses, that every triadic relation involves
meaning.”

If anyone wants to study this passage from the Lowell lectures but doesn’t have
access to the Collected Papers, let me know and I’ll provide you with a copy.
Or post it here, if there’s enough interest. But I hope that at least those who
do have access to CP will take a closer look at it.

Gary f.