On 4/14/2017 10:41 AM, Jeffrey Brian Downard wrote:
I have to say (one more time) that if we want to understand Peirce’s
terms — especially what he means by a *triadic relation* — we need to
read them *in the context *where Peirce uses them, not lift them out
of their context and drop them into a scheme of our own invention.

For any particular text, that principle is quite reasonable.
But Peirce's life included a very wide range of contexts --
all of which were lurking in the back of his mind while
he wrote.  Note the frequent digressions in his writings.

And note the dates.  He wrote his 1870 article on relations
while he was working on physics and engineering (measuring
gravity and designing instruments).

He wrote his 1880, 1883, and 1885 work after he edited his
father's book on linear algebra and while he was teaching
logic at Johns Hopkins.

He wrote his articles and MSS on existential graphs *after*
he had written or edited thousands of definitions for the
_Century Dictionary_.

not ... drop them into a schemeof our own invention.

But I would add "not choose one aspect of Peirce's work
to the exclusion of others."

In short, we should consider his writings on chemistry
when we analyze his graph logic.  But we should not forget
his other work, especially his algebraic logic and his more
recent work on lexicography.