These were just some wild guesses based on impressions and half-knowledges.
Best,
Helmut

27. April 2017 um 22:56 Uhr
Von: "Jon Awbrey" <jawb...@att.net>

Helmut, List ...

Here are links to my blog rehashes of the last few exchanges on this thread:

https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/04/16/icon-index-symbol-%e2%80%a2-7/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/04/17/icon-index-symbol-%e2%80%a2-8/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/04/24/icon-index-symbol-%e2%80%a2-9/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/04/25/icon-index-symbol-%e2%80%a2-10/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/04/27/icon-index-symbol-%e2%80%a2-11/

Turning now to your next point:

HR:
> Example: The triadic function “x_1 + x_2 = x_3”, with the
> three sets X_1, X_2, X_3 not being classes of any kind,
> at least not of the special kind (whatever that is),
> that would allow representation, and make it having
> to do with the third category.

Mathematics is rife with examples of triadic relations having all three
relational domains the same. For instance, the binary operation “+”
in “x_1 + x_2 = x_3” is associated with a function fun[+] such that
fun[+] : X × X → X and also with a triadic relation rel[+] such that
rel[+] ⊆ X × X × X.

Semiotics, by contrast, tends to deal with relational domains O, S, I
where the objects in O are distinct in kind from the signs in S and the
interpretant signs in I. As far as S and I go, it is usually convenient
to lump them all into one big set S = I, even if we have to partition that
set into distinct kinds, say, mental concepts and verbal symbols, or signs
from different languages. But even if it's how things tend to work out in
practice, as we currently practice it, there does not seem to be anything
in Peirce's most general definition of a sign relation to prevent all the
relational domains from being the same. So I'll leave that open for now.

Regards,

Jon

--

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/