Jon,

Part of what you're saying:

    The Object always determines the Sign.
    The Sign always determines the Interpretant.
    The Object always determines the Interpretant through the mediation of
the Sign.

makes sense to me if we're talking about something like the "signs" from
the Mississippi River that Mark Twain learned to interpret as a steamboat
pilot.  We can select some, or not know all, of them, but we can't create
them. And, when we get creative about what they mean, we do so at our own,
and the shipowner's, peril. The other things you list about signs:

    The Sign sometimes creates the Object.
    The Sign always creates the Interpretant.
    The Object always creates the Interpretant through the mediation of the
Sign

don't make sense.

On the other hand, where a "sign," such as a term or a concept, iconically
represents the object, we can change your "sometimes" into "always," and it
is the second list that makes sense while the first one doesn't.

I'll admit that when the discussion turns to the 10, much less the 60-some,
versions of signs, I change the channel. But perhaps we can make sense of
the relevant distinction here in terms of these examples?

Thanks,
Tom