Jon S, Gary F, John S, List,

Regarding #1, does Peirce ever identify a class of triadic relation that is
similarly "productive or poietical"?  Or is creation in this context an
inherently dyadic relation as a matter of 2ns?

Peirce talks about creation and procreation as well as production and
reproduction in the context of the semiotic theory. For instance, we create
abstractions such as diagrams by hypostatic abstraction (e.g., CP 2.341,
4.531). I take this to imply that some genuine triadic relations are creative
in character.

Regarding #2, Peirce obviously endorsed analyzing the Sign-Object relation as
dyadic by excluding the Interpretant; thus it seems to me that the question is
whether we can likewise fruitfully analyze the Sign-Interpretant relation as
dyadic by excluding the Object.  I used to think so, in accordance with the
received view that the third 1903 trichotomy is based on this dyadic relation;
but now I am not so sure, since I have recently come to view that trichotomy as
based instead on the triadic Object-Sign-Interpretant relation.

For my part, I put great weight on passages where he says that triadic action
involves dyadic action. For example, see CP. 6.323-4, where he says:

a) "But a triadic relationship is of an essentially higher nature than a dyadic
relationship, in the sense that while it involves three dyadic relationships,
it is not constituted by them."

b) "The triadic fact takes place in thought. I do not say in anybody's
thinking, but in pure abstract thought; while the dyadic fact is existential.
With that comparison plainly before them, our minds perversely regard the
dyadic fact as superior in reality to the "mere" relation of thought which is
the triadic fact. We forget that thinking implies existential action, though it
does not consist in that;..."(emphasis added)

For my part, I would add "solely" to the last clause to make the point clearer:
 "though it does not consist solely in that;..."

Regarding #4, on which specific page(s) of MS 611-615 at
https://www.fromthepage.com/display/read_work?work_id=149 does Peirce discuss
the relation "A determines B after ..."?

See the pages just before and after 49:
https://www.fromthepage.com/display/display_page?page_id=7790
49 (C. S. Peirce Manuscripts, MS 611-15) |
FromThePage<https://www.fromthepage.com/display/display_page?page_id=7790>
www.fromthepage.com
49 (C. S. Peirce Manuscripts, MS 611-15) - page overview. 1908 Nov 12 Logic 32
I have been so careful in defining 'Determination', for the reason that I have
to use it in defining an even more...

Yours,

Jeff

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Jeffrey Brian Downard