This always struck me as being, at least, a parallel articulation of
quantum mechanics. Peirce knew that macro-scale knowledge was beset by
limits, and that these limitations became more problematic as precision
increased.

59. (2) By thus admitting pure spontaneity or life as a character of the
universe, acting always and everywhere though restrained within narrow
bounds by law, producing infinitesimal departures from law continually, and
great ones with infinite infrequency, I account for all the variety and
diversity of the universe, in the only sense in which the really *sui
generis* and new can be said to be accounted for.

Also, in the same work on chance, Peirce references Boltzmann, whose gas
laws helped lead Planck to the quantum nature of radiation.