James, all ...

Among the subtle shifts in scientific thinking that occurred during
the 19th Century, Boole gave us a functional interpretation of logic,
associating with every propositional expression — in the field we now
plow with boolean algebras, boolean functions, propositional calculus,
or Peirce's alpha graphs — a function from a universe of discourse X to
a domain of logical values, say B = {0, 1}, normally interpreted as the
values false and true, respectively.  This may seem like a small change
so far as conceptual revolutions go but it made a big difference in the
future development, growth, and power of our logical systems.

Among other things, the functional interpretation of logic enables the
construction of a bridge from propositional logic, whose subject matter
now consists of functions of the form f : X → B, to probability theory,
that deals with probability distributions or probability densities of
the form p : X → [0, 1], whose values lie in the unit interval [0, 1]
of the real number line R.  This allows us to view propositional logic
as a special case within the frame of a more general statistical theory.
This turns out to be a very useful perspective in real-world research
when it comes to moving back and forth between qualitative observations
and the data given by quantitative measurement.  It is a bridge further,
connecting deductive and inductive reasoning, as Boole well envisioned.

Regards,

Jon