Dear Edwina et al,
    Regarding your first point. Edwina: "If I understand you correctly, you
are suggesting that 'empathy', as a societal characteristic, i.e., a
habit/Thirdness within a population, might be removed from that
population's behaviour.  Such a population, I suggest, couldn't last beyond
a generation, for the psychological reality of 'empathy' or connection
-with-others, is vital in human society, which learns most of its behaviour
from others [rather than inheriting it]."

Yes, you understand that correctly, but I allow that empathy is a deeply
engrained, biosocial instinctive capacity requiring sufficient empathic
parenting to develop, and "eradicable" only as pathology, notably as
clinical narcissistic disturbance. And I am in agreement with your
conclusion.
     Gene Halton