Gary f.

From: Gary Richmond [mailto:gary.richm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 16-Jun-17 14:08

Gary F, list,

Very interesting and impressive list and discussion of what AI is doing in
combatting terrorism. Interestingly, after that discussion the article
continues:

Human Expertise

AI can’t catch everything. Figuring out what supports terrorism and what does
not isn’t always straightforward, and algorithms are not yet as good as people
when it comes to understanding this kind of context. A photo of an armed man
waving an ISIS flag might be propaganda or recruiting material, but could be an
image in a news story. Some of the most effective criticisms of brutal groups
like ISIS utilize the group’s own propaganda against it. To understand more
nuanced cases, we need human expertise.

The paragraph above suggests that "algorithms are not yet as good as people"
when ti comes to nuance and understanding context. Will they ever be?  No doubt
they'll improve considerably in time.

In my opinion, AI is best seen as a human tool which like many tools can be
used for good or evil. But we're getting pretty far from anything
Peirce-related, so I'll leave it at that.

Best,

Gary R