Gene,

Thanks for the links; I’m quite familiar with the mirror neuron research and
the inferences various people have drawn from it, and it reinforces the point I
was trying to make, that empathy is deeper than deliberate reasoning — as well
as Peirce’s point that science is grounded in empathy (or at least in “the
social principle”).

I didn’t miss the point that it is possible to disable the feeling of empathy —
I just didn’t see that point as being news in any sense (it’s been pretty
obvious for millennia!). I see the particular study as an attempt to quantify
some expressions of empathy (or responses that imply the lack of it). What it
doesn’t do is give us much of a clue as to what cultural factors are involved
in the suppression of empathic behavior. (And I thought that blaming it on
increasing use of AI was really a stretch!)  As I wrote before, what
significance that study has depends on the nature of the devices used to
generate those statistics.

There are lots of theories about what causes empathic behavior to be suppressed
(not all of them use that terminology, of course.) I think they are valuable to
the extent that they give us some clues as to what we can do about the
situation. To take the example that happens to be in front of me:

The election of Donald Trump can certainly be taken as a symptom of a decline
in empathy. In her new book, Naomi Klein spends several chapters explaining in
factual detail how certain trends in American culture (going back several
decades) have prepared the way for somebody like Trump to exploit the
situation. But the title of her book, No is Not Enough, emphasizes that what’s
needed is not another round of recriminations but a coherent vision of a better
way to live, and a viable alternative to the pathologically partisan politics
of the day. I can see its outlines in a document called the LEAP manifesto, and
I’d like to see us google that and spend more time considering it than we do
blaming Google or other arms of “The Machine” for the mess we’re in.

But enough about politics and such “vitally important” matters. What interests
me about AI (which is supposed to be the subject of this thread) is what we can
learn from it about how the mind works, whether it’s a human or animal bodymind
or not. That’s also what my book is about and why I’m interested in Peircean
semiotics. And I daresay that’s what motivates many, if not most, AI
researchers, including the students that John Sowa is addressing in that
presentation he’s still working on.

Gary f.

} What is seen with one eye has no depth. [Ursula LeGuin] {

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway