BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }I
don't see that it is Peirce-related for it is utopian; operating
purely in the realm of Homogeneic Purity; it is Hegelian, i.e.,
rejecting the reality of individual Secondness and finiteness;
rejecting the adaptive reality that is chance;  rejecting even the
openness of genuine Thirdness [which is never finite].

        It instead is filled with unverified assumptions, lacking
evidentiary support for these axioms, [massively ignorant about
economics and human psychology]and assuming, like all utopian
theories, that If Only We All Behaved in Such-and-Such a Way - then,
all will be well.

         This is the mindset of all fundamentalist and totalitarian
ideologies - which all operate within the Seminar Room mode of
Thirdness - i.e., alienated from the pragmatic daily realities of
Secondness and Firstness. I'd call this Thirdness-as-Firstness,
alienated from physical reality, operating within an insistence on
iconic homogeneity of its population. Sounds a bit like Animal Farm
or 1984.

        And - its mindset includes not only a profound ignorance of
economics but -  a complete ignorance of the psychological reality of
the human species - which is not and has never been, able to operate
within only the abstract generalities of Thirdness. Certainly, you
can get small populations operating within the abstract generalities
- these are isolate communities sustained by the external world [a
convent, a monastery]; or cults. Since they are not operating within
all three categories but only within degenerate Thirdness, they are
all unable to provide continuity of Type. Their membership must be
replenished from external sources; or - most of them implode after a
few years. And all of them require enormous external authoritarian
Force to prevent any intrusion of Secondness and Firstness - i.e.,
individual realities, individual emotions and sensations. And to keep
the population submissive and entrapped within a homogeneic
perspective. Sounds a bit like N. Korea.
        Edwina
 On Mon 26/06/17  3:03 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Gary F, Edwina, Gene, list,
 Well, before we accept or reject the LEAP proposal (which has
implications far beyong Canada), let's consider what it says. See:
https://leapmanifesto.org/en/the-leap-manifesto/ [1].
 If we do consider it here, please try to keep the discussion
Peirce-related. I've copied and pasted the text of the manifesto from
the pdf below my signature.
 Best,
 Gary R (writing as list moderator)
 the leap manifesto
 A Call for Canada Based on Caring for the Earth and One AnotherWe
start from the premise that Canada is facing the deepest crisis in
recent memory.
 The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has acknowledged shocking
details about the violence of Canada’s near past. Deepening poverty
and inequality are a scar on the country’s present. And our record
on climate change is a crime against humanity’s future. These facts
are all the more jarring because they depart so dramatically from our
stated values: respect for Indigenous rights, internationalism, human
rights, diversity, and environmental stewardship.
 Canada is not this place today -- but it could be.
 We could live in a country powered entirely by truly just renewable
energy, woven together by accessible public transit, in which the
jobs and opportunities of this transition are designed to
systematically eliminate racial and gender inequality. Caring for one
another and caring for the planet could be the economy’s fastest
growing sectors. Many more people could have higher wage jobs with
fewer work hours, leaving us ample time to enjoy our loved ones and
flourish in our communities.  We know that the time for this great
transition is short. Climate scientists have told us that this is the
decade to take decisive action to prevent catastrophic global warming.
That means small steps will no longer get us where we need to go.
 So we need to leap.
 This leap must begin by respecting the inherent rights and title of
the original caretakers of this land. Indigenous communities have
been at the forefront of protecting rivers, coasts, forests and lands
from out-of-control industrial activity. We can bolster this role, and
reset our relationship, by fully implementing the United Nations
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.  Moved by the
treaties that form the legal basis of this country and bind us to
share the land “for as long as the sun shines, the grass grows and
the rivers flow,” we want energy sources that will last for time
immemorial and never run out or poison the land. Technological
breakthroughs have brought this dream within reach. The latest
research shows it is feasible for Canada to get 100% of its
electricity from renewable resources within two decades1; by 2050 we
could have a 100% clean economy2 .   We demand that this shift begin
now.
 There is no longer an excuse for building new infrastructure
projects that lock us into increased extraction decades into the
future. The new iron law of energy development must be: if you
wouldn’t want it in your backyard, then it doesn’t belong in
anyone’s backyard. That applies equally to oil and gas pipelines;
fracking in New Brunswick, Quebec and British Columbia; increased
tanker traffic off our coasts; and to Canadianowned mining projects
the world over.
 The time for energy democracy has come: we believe not just in
changes to our energy sources, but that wherever possible communities
should collectively control these new energy systems.
 As an alternative to the profit-gouging of private companies and the
remote bureaucracy of some centralized state ones, we can create
innovative ownership structures: democratically run, paying living
wages and keeping much-needed revenue in communities. And Indigenous
Peoples should be first to receive public support for their own clean
energy projects. So should communities currently dealing with heavy
health impacts of polluting industrial activity.
 Power generated this way will not merely light our homes but
redistribute wealth, deepen our democracy, strengthen our economy and
start to heal the wounds that date back to this country’s founding.
 A leap to a non-polluting economy creates countless openings for
similar multiple “wins.” We want a universal program to build
energy efficient homes, and retrofit existing housing, ensuring that
the lowest income communities and neighbourhoods will benefit first
and receive job training and opportunities that reduce poverty over
the long term. We want training and other resources for workers in
carbon-intensive jobs, ensuring they are fully able to take part in
the clean energy economy. This transition should involve the
democratic participation of workers themselves. High-speed rail
powered by just renewables and affordable public transit can unite
every community in this country – in place of more cars, pipelines
and exploding trains that endanger and divide us.
 And since we know this leap is beginning late, we need to invest in
our decaying public infrastructure so that it can withstand
increasingly frequent extreme weather events.
 Moving to a far more localized and ecologically-based agricultural
system would reduce reliance on fossil fuels, capture carbon in the
soil, and absorb sudden shocks in the global supply – as well as
produce healthier and more affordable food for everyone.
  We call for an end to all trade deals that interfere with our
attempts to rebuild local economies, regulate corporations and stop
damaging extractive projects. Rebalancing the scales of justice, we
should ensure immigration status and full protection for all workers.
 Recognizing Canada’s contributions to military conflicts and
climate change -- primary drivers of the global refugee crisis -- we
must welcome refugees and migrants seeking safety and a better life.
 Shifting to an economy in balance with the earth’s limits also
means expanding the sectors of our economy that are already low
carbon: caregiving, teaching, social work, the arts and
public-interest media.
  Following on Quebec’s lead, a national childcare program is long
past due.
  All this work, much of it performed by women, is the glue that
builds humane, resilient communities – and we will need our
communities to be as strong as possible in the face of the rocky
future we have already locked in.  Since so much of the labour of
caretaking – whether of people or the planet – is currently
unpaid, we call for a vigorous debate about the introduction of a
universal basic annual income. Pioneered in Manitoba in the 1970’s,
this sturdy safety net could help ensure that no one is forced to take
work that threatens their children’s tomorrow, just to feed those
children today. We declare that “austerity” is a fossilized form
of thinking that has become a threat to life on earth.
 We declare that “austerity” – which has systematically
attacked low-carbon sectors like education and healthcare, while
starving public transit and forcing reckless energy privatizations
– is a fossilized form of thinking that has become a threat to life
on earth.
 The money we need to pay for this great transformation is available
— we just need the right policies to release it. Like an end to
fossil fuel subsidies. Financial transaction taxes. Increased
resource royalties. Higher income taxes on corporations and wealthy
people. A progressive carbon tax. Cuts to military spending. All of
these are based on a simple “polluter pays” principle and hold
enormous promise.
 One thing is clear: public scarcity in times of unprecedented
private wealth is a manufactured crisis, designed to extinguish our
dreams before they have a chance to be born. Those dreams go well
beyond this document. We call for town hall meetings across the
country where residents can gather to democratically define what a
genuine leap to the next economy means in their communities.
Inevitably, this bottom-up revival will lead to a renewal of
democracy at every level of government, working swiftly towards a
system in which every vote counts and corporate money is removed from
political campaigns.  This is a great deal to take on all at once, but
such are the times in which we live. The drop in oil prices has
temporarily relieved the pressure to dig up fossil fuels as rapidly
as high-risk technologies will allow. This pause in frenetic
expansion should not be viewed as a crisis, but as a gift.
 It has given us a rare moment to look at what we have become – and
decide to change. And so we call on all those seeking political office
to seize this opportunity and embrace the urgent need for
transformation. This is our sacred duty to those this country harmed
in the past, to those suffering needlessly in the present, and to all
who have a right to a bright and safe future.  Now is the time for
boldness.
 Now is the time to leap.
 Gary RichmondPhilosophy and Critical Thinking Communication
StudiesLaGuardia College of the City University of New YorkC 745718
482-5690