List, John:

Comments on “technical” aspects of Law of Excluded Middle (LEM) are inserted.

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 3:15 PM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> Jerry and Kirstima,
>
> Jerry
>> the issue of the "Law of the Excluded Middle” is a red herring to me.
>
> Kirstima
>> LEM presents one of the three basic misassumptions in modern logic.
>
> LEM is a convention used in a technical (mathematical) sense.
> It's important to keep the conventions distinct from ordinary
> (non-technical) uses of words.

LEM plays a central role in triad, the logic of logic, the logic of mathematics
and the logic of science. It is far more important then just a notational
convention or a traditional usage of a mathematic symbol which is free to
substitution for another symbol with the same definition.
LEM has profound geometric inference for continuity.

> Jerry
>> “Everything”, in my opinion, goes far beyond the ultra-simple notions
>> mathematical logic, mathematical formalisms, and  physical units of
>> representations
>
> Yes, of course.  You have to keep technical terms in logic distinct
> from words in ordinary language that are spelled the same.

???
My view is rather different, perhaps because economic considerations are
suppressed.
If the usage of a word is not that of ordinary language, then one is obligated
to distinguish the technical usage and explain to the reader what it means.
CSP was very careless in this area and, often, the modern reader is very hard
put to make any sense of his techno - babble.  At least, that is how I often
feel.  On the other side of the coin, when CSP felt up to the task, he wrote
many beautiful sentences and paragraphs with a special brilliance that is
seldom matched.

> The term 'universe of discourse' is a technical term, which Boole
> introduced in his famous book, _Laws of Thought_ (1854):
>> Now, whatever may be the extent of the field within which all the
>> objects of our discourse are found, that field may properly be termed
>> the universe of discourse. Furthermore, this universe of discourse
>> is in the strictest sense the ultimate subject of the discourse.
>
> When Peirce was talking about logic, he followed the terminology
> of Boole and de Morgen.  It's important to remember that context.

I disagree.
CSP often stated that chemistry and chemical names were intrinsic to his
logical terminology.
If one is fluent in the logic of chemistry (as it developed in the second half
of the 19 th Century), then the augmentation of Boolean and de Morgen
terminology is readily apparent in the logic of relatives. And in his
development of his views on (non-mathematical?) Graph Theory.

I agree that it is important to remember context, but this is possible if and
only if one is looking at  at all possible interpretations of “icons, indices
and symbols” as used in the scientific community in his age.

Cheers

Jerry