Helmut - my understanding of 'degenerate' is simply that the mode
includes another mode. So, genuine Secondness refers to a mode of
organization or composition that functions only within Secondness.
Degenerate Secondness includes Firstness in that composition.

        One can 'theoretically, I suppose, refer to 2-1 as a 'submode' of
2-2, but I understand it as I've explained above.

        Yes, there are indeed 'more than one way' of something being a
functioning part of something else.

        You wrote: 'The dynamical object is functionally a part of the sign
(functional composition), but spatially not a part of it (external to
it, spatial composition)." I

        I agree. That is in large part why Peirce referred to his theory as
'objective idealism'.

        Edwiina
 On Mon 23/10/17  3:09 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
  Edwina, thank you for acknowledging a different view! I have looked
at Guess at the riddle, not having understood it, so I must look
again, taking more time, being more focused and concentrated. Is it
so, that "degenerate" mostly applies to classification, e.g. the sign
classes? While, when it is about composition, it rather is submodes?
About external and internal, regarding the example of the immediate
object being internal, and the dynamical one being external to the
sign, I yesterday have written something in my blog
www.signs-in-time.de . There (quite at the end of it) I have come to
the conclusion, that there are more than one ways of something being
a part of something else: Three ways of composition. The dynamical
object is functionally a part of the sign (functional composition),
but spatially not a part of it (external to it, spatial composition).
Best, Helmut  18. Oktober 2017 um 14:36 Uhr
  "Edwina Taborsky"
 wrote.

        Helmut - yes, Again, Peirce refers to external and internal
frequently  - see for example, all through A guess at the riddle.  1.
354-

        Yes, I can see the degenerate modes as submodes - except what is
interesting about them is that they include the other modes, which
thus makes them degenerate rather than genuine/pure.

        I hope I've explained why I describe 3-1 and 3-2 differently from
you - though I acknowledge the validity of your points.

        Edwina
 On Tue 17/10/17 9:31 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
    Supplement: "External, internal" are a bit likely to lead to
misunderstandings, I guess. I think, or rather guess, that, as
secondness is actuality and firstness possibility, this also applies
to the degenerate modes (I rather think of them as submodes). So,
that (3.1.) is possibility rather, and (3.2.) actuality.      Edwina,
list, my concepts of (2.1.), (2.2.), (3.1.), (3.2.), (3.3.) I mostly
have abducted from immediate object (2.1.), dynamic object (2.2.),
immediate (3.1.), dynamic (3.2.), final (3.3.) interpretant, and also
the parts of the consciousness: Sensation of altersense (2.1.), will
of altersense (2.2.), abstraction of medisense (3.1.), suggestion of
medisense (3.2.), association of medisense (3.3.). Looking at these,
I think that I agree with your (2.1.) and (2.2.), but that I see
(3.1.) and (3.2.) the other way around than you do, regarding their
local ex- and internality. Are there btw. any more examples of
degenerate modes by Peirce? Best, Helmut   17. Oktober 2017 um 21:59
Uhr
  "Edwina Taborsky" wrote:
        Helmut - I can see how you are arriving at this outline of the
categories - matter-form-interaction - and they DO fit into the three
modal categories.  My own view of the six modes possible within these
three categories analyzes how they function within time and space.

        1-1 [Pure Firstness]- is a mode of existence in Internal Local Space
and Present time: As internal, which is to say, in the non-actualized
or imaginary realm - - it provides a host of 'possible' experiences
but its existentiality as not-actual is without definition and
without form and thus, allows for a great deal of interpretation, via
its open possibilities. A feeling.

        2-2 [Pure Secondness] is a mode in External Local Space and Perfect
time: As external, it provides a discrete actual instantiation

        2-1 [Degenerate Secondness] is a borderline interface, in local
space..and on the border between the external and the internal. It's
an 'attractor'. I think it functions as a kind of initial condition
[its Firstness] , able to link with other relations [its indexical
Secondness]; It acts as a catalyst...with its properties of both
internal feeling and external closure. So, it iconically and
indexically  'interacts' with other sites and also, binds and links
with them.

        3-2 [Degenerate Thirdness] is an internal mode, and, as Thirdness,
operates in progressive or continuous time and non-local space. As
non-local, it  provides communal continuity, but, as internal, it
operates as a 'virtual information processor. It functions as an
exploratory ongoing flexible connection of indexical links to both
real and imaginary solutions; it 'browses' the entire informational
community without making a discrete decision. It's a vital, highly
important mode - because of its indexicality with its surroundings,
and the fact that, as internal - its decisions remain possible rather
than actual. This enables the organism to consider, without
actualizing,  multiple alternative solutions. It's a  vital
informational search engine.

        3-1 [Degenerate Thirdness] is an external mode, and, as Thirdness,
operates in progressive or continuous time and non-local space. It
provides communal continuity, but, as EXTERNAL, i.e., as actual
rather than imaginary or possible, it lacks the exploratory
capacities of 3-2; it provides a symmetry-inducing model, a communal
habit-form or abstract model, which guides and organizes the
development of instantiations. Akin to the genes of a species.

        3-3 [Pure Thirdness] is aspatial and atemporal - the universal
rationality of Pure Mind. It cannot be described for description
belongs to particularities.

        And now - I can imagine the reactions of shocked horror at my above
outline. ..and the assertions that 'it's not Peirce'. Well- I think
it is.

        Edwina
 On Tue 17/10/17 3:13 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
Edwina, list, I completely agree with your outline of what a thing
categorially is. My proposal about a thing is: Category 1 is
matter/material, cat. 2 is form, and cat. 3 is interaction. 2.1.
(firstness of secondness) is the form from the inside, the thing´s
perspective, and 2.2. (secondness of secondness) is the form from the
outside perspective. 3.1. is the interaction possibility, 3.2. the
actual interactions, and 3.3. the interactional habits. Where exactly
the border between existence and reality is, I don´t know. Maybe,
depending on the depth of analysis, always between secondness and
thirdness? so between 2 and 3, but also between 3.2. and 3.3.,
between 3.3.2. and 3.3.3.,...? Best, Helmut    17. Oktober 2017 um
01:19 Uhr
  "Edwina Taborsky"
          Gary R, list

        Thanks for the quote. I've two, hopefully brief, comments.

        1] I don't think that a 'thing' is real in itself, It is
existential,  but its attributes, its modal nature, can be real - if
that modal nature includes Thirdness, which is to say, includes
generals or habits.

        2] Thirdness, or generality or habits, has to be understood as
distinct  - spatially and temporally - from the modal categories of
Firstness and Secondness.

        Firstness operates in the Open Here and Now - ...this
undifferentiated  'instant'..and 'this space'..with no sense of past
or future time and no sense of 'other space. It is that immediate
sensation.

        Secondness operates in the Distinct Here and Now - this 'instant' as
differentiated from the past or next instant and this space as
differentiated from Other Space. It is that distinct, closed
oppositional awareness of self-not self.

        Thirdness operates in Past/Future or Progressive Time and non-local
space. That is, its properties, as generals,  have no 'glue'
confining them to 'hic et nunc' time; they are spread out; they are
the same in the past and in the future; they are continuity. And -
they are common to a lot of 'instances' over space. As such, these
Generals are of course, real  general possibilities.

        3] BUT Thirdness or 'the real' , being composed of generals
operating only in past/future time and non-local space, can only
exist, within the temporal and spatial finiteness, the 'nowness' of
matter operating in the mode of Firstness and/or Secondness. These
two modal categories provide the 'hic and nunc' existentiality to
Thirdness.

        Therefore -  a General or an open general possibility, is 'real'
but, being without current time and space, it remains an abstract
open, vague continuous force. As a force, does Thirdness depend on
being articulated within existential Firstness/Secondness? I think it
does; its properties are general and open to change within the 'being
made existential' - but - I don't see that Thirdness/ generals can
continue-to-be-Real without that semiosic connection. That is, I
don't see Thirdness/generals as functioning separated from
Firstness/Secondness.

        Edwina
 On Mon 16/10/17 5:12 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:   Edwina, list,   I'm glad the quotation proved helpful to you.
There does remain the question of the generality and reality of habits
and habit formation towards the future, evolutionary tendencies,
'would-bes', etc.    Since I've decided to rest my eyes for the rest
of the day (I may in fact listen to that Mozart concerto), I'll just
offer another quote and a brief comment to suggest what I have in
mind for perhaps future discussion (I'd recommend that if we do take
the discussion further that we do so in a separate thread).     1911
| A Sketch of Logical Critics   | EP 2:457-458 (in Commens
Dictionary)

        For what is it for a thing to be Real? [—] To say that a thing is
Real is merely to say that such predicates as are true of it, or some
of them, are true of it regardless of whatever any actual person or
persons might think concerning that truth. Unconditionality in that
single respect constitutes what we call Reality.  Consequently, any
habit, or lasting state that consists in the fact that the subject of
it   would, under certain conditions, behave in a certain way, is
Real, provided this be true whether actual persons think so or not;
and it must be admitted to be a Real Habit, even if those conditions
never actually do get fulfilled.

            I would assume that we are in agreement as to Peirce's initial
answer to the question he poses as to what it is for something to be
Real. But the question of the reality of habits as "would bes" yet
remains to be considered. Note that his description here of a
habit--a "lasting state that consists in the fact that the subject
would  , under certain conditions, behave in a certain way, is Real"
concludes with the idea that "it must be admitted to be a Real Habit,
even if those conditions never actually do get fulfilled."    Now I
recall Jon S also suggesting that something like this is the case not
only for real generals (habits) but for real possibilities as well. It
seems to me that Peirce's "extreme Scholastic realism" does argue that
there are both real generals and real possibles, and that their
reality is not  dependent on whether the conditions bringing them
into existence "actually do get fulfilled."   Best,   Gary R
   Gary Richmond Philosophy and Critical Thinking Communication
Studies LaGuardia College of the City University of New York 718
482-5690         On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Edwina Taborsky