>”I doubt that the animal species had the brain capacity to develop language”

I don’t know about that. Communication between animals has been long
well-established, so perhaps I need to know what you mean by “language”. I am
almost embarrassed to have to admit that I just googled “do animals talk to one
another,” curious to see what google brings up. Birds are capable of a rich
repertoire of sounds, so it would come as a surprise to me if that richness was
not employed somehow in some manner of linguistic expression. I’ve often
observed magpies chortling in the early morning, and I cannot conclude anything
other than that they were communicating somehow with one another. Perhaps there
might be grounds for saying that magpie language does not have the semantic,
structural complexity that human languages have… but how can we know for sure?