While we are on the topic of categories… some time ago, we discussed the
role of imitation with respect to pragmatism, and I recall that we arrived
at a consensus that yes, imitation is important. But as we watch the western
world unravel, I’ve been thinking more and more about the role imitation in
this decent into chaos. Imitation is at the centre of it. If you are born
into Christianity, or Islam, or conservatism, or liberalism, and if you
choose to immerse yourself into one of these lifestyles, you will imitate
its values. The spilling of blood or rule by governments is contingent, in
the first instance, on imitation. So how do the categories apply to
imitation? Allow me to suggest some possibilities:

1)      Firstness: In my 2001 semiotica paper (The law of association of
habits), I introduced the desire to be (analogous to Heidegger’s Dasein).
The known and the unknown relate. Fear of the unknown provides a compelling
motivation to imitate the known, in order to be. It applies, principally, to
any living entity. Does it make sense to define this desire to be as the
prime mover (or firstness)? It does, after all, account for other emotions,
such as the fear of not being, or the fear of loss, or the fear of the
unknown, or the desire for materialism, or the need to belong (conformity);

2)      Secondness: A living entity imitates the things that matter that
come together in the contexts that are relevant to its Umwelt (for humans,
the Umwelt is culture). Birds, like crows, are terrific and intelligent
imitators that will imitate their conspecifics in the use of tools, for
example;

3)      Thirdness: A living entity habituates and internalizes the things
that matter and these become manifestations of the entity’s notion of self.

Abduction, induction, etc, are relevant when it comes to how a mind-body
negotiates its Umwelt of options. But I’m coming around to thinking that
perhaps imitation should be elevated to a more central role, around which
everything else revolves. An infant raised among wolves will become a feral
child. An animal raised among humans will become domesticated. A human with
thugs as role models will become a criminal. In other words, imitation, to
some extent, overrides the mind-body predispositions. It might even be
argued that abduction, induction, etc, are secondary to dumb imitation… just
go along with what everyone else is doing.

And we might extend the same line of thinking to matter and the physics of
entanglement. Subatomic particles also need to make a choice between being
and not being… hence the relevance of virtual particles, and their need to
acquire the “right” behavior before they can become the atoms and molecules
that persist across time.

Here is an interesting article
<https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/03/the-psychology-of-sex-differences-5-re
vealing-insights-from-our-primate-cousins/> * on gender differences in
humans and monkeys. Do boy and girl humans/monkeys somehow already sense
that they are boys or girls, and ipso facto go on to imitate the respective
male/female parent? The parents know, so surely, the infants pick up on
their cues to know whether they are boy or girl, and therefore, which parent
to imitate.

Is this what it all comes down to? Imitation? Imitation is important because
it is the interface between the known and the unknown. Imitation is integral
to overcoming entropy.

Imitation accounts for organism behavior far better than mainstream genetic
determinism. In this regard, at least, Richard Dawkins’ memetic theory was a
baby-step in the right direction.

* Jarrett, Christian (2017, October 3). The Psychology of Sex Differences –
5 Revealing Insights From Our Primate Cousins. Research Digest.
https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/10/03/the-psychology-of-sex-differences-5-rev
ealing-insights-from-our-primate-cousins/

Regards