Hi Jon, List:

I go back and forth on whether the Universes are intended to be phenomenological or metaphysical.  Calling them "Universes of Experience" certainly suggests phenomenology, but Peirce's descriptions of their constituents (EP 2:435, 1908) clearly imply modes of Being, which sound more like metaphysics.  In fact, he explicitly called them "modalities of Being" in his letter to Lady Welby later the same year (EP 2:478-479, 1908).  Two years earlier, he wrote that when we use hypostatic abstraction to turn predicates into subjects and place them into Categories or Predicaments,

I have found Siosifa Ika's 2002 thesis, A Critical Examination of the Philosophy of Charles S. Peirce: A Defence of the
Claim that his Pragmatism is Founded on his Theory of Categories
, to be most helpful on these types of questions about the universal categories.

Mike