From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: 12-Dec-17 22:11
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu; g...@gnusystems.ca
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 3.4

Gary F, Mary, Edwina, Gary R, List,

Gary F:  "his reference to the chemistry of "active substances" is not very
clear, at least to me"

One place where Peirce seems to clear this matter up about the chemical
character of "active substances", at least to some degree, is in "On the
Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to develop my categories from within." As
in the Lowell Lectures of 1903, I take him to be drawing on a
phenomenological account of the categories--both material and formal--as a
basis for sorting out the phenomena that call out for explanation in
philosophy.

Peirce says:

Laws which connect phenomena by a synthesis more or less intellectual, or
inward, are divided somewhat broadly into laws of the inward relations, or
resemblances, of bodies, and laws of mind. The laws of resemblances and
differences of bodies are classificatory, or chemical. We know little about
them; but we may assert with some confidence that there are differences
between substances - i.e., differences in the smallest parts of bodies, and
a classification based on that, and there are differences in the structure
of bodies, and a classification based on that. Then of these latter we may
distinguish differences in the structure of the smallest pieces of bodies,
depending on the shape and size of atomicules, and differences in the manner
in which bodies are built up out of their smallest pieces. Here we have a
distinction between that kind of structure which gives rise to forms without
power of truth [true?] growth or inorganic structures, and the chemistry of
protoplasms which develope [or] living organisms. (CP 1.512)

Let us outline the classification of the laws that "connect phenomena by a
synthesis more or less intellectual or inward."

(1) Chemical or classificatory laws of inward relations or resemblances of
bodies.

(2) Laws of mind.

The first class is further divided into laws based on the (a) nature of the
smallest part of the bodies that make them up (e.g., atomic elements), and
the laws that are based (b) on the structural relations between the parts of
bodies. The latter class is further divided into the laws of (i) inorganic
chemistry, which are based on the shape and size of the atomicules, and the
laws of organic chemistry, which give rise to (ii) forms that have the power
of growth and life.

The laws of organic chemistry (including biochemistry and protoplasm) are, I
take it, examples of the chemistry of "active substances" because they are
the kinds of things that are capable of growth and of developing into living
organisms. As such, the laws of organic chemistry are on the border between
the laws of fact and the principles of thoroughly genuine thirds that govern
the growth of living things.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor