John,

Thanks for this, it’s helpful in reducing somewhat the vagueness of Peirce’s
references to physics and chemistry in Lowell 3.4 — and answering the question
I posed, which was badly put in the first place. What I was trying to “get” was
why Peirce would focus on “substances” of this particular kind to argue for the
reality of Thirdness. There is certainly a conceptual connection between
Thirdness and life, and the phenomenon of chirality doesn’t strike me as
especially exemplary of that connection.

But now I see the historical context these lectures as an earlier stage in the
gradual shift from conceiving the essence of life as a substance (such as
“protoplasm” or in this case “active substance”) to conceiving it as a process
(such as Maturana/Varela’s “autopoiesis” or Kaufmann’s “autocatalysis” or
Deacon’s “teleogenesis”). Nowadays we all see an intimate connection between
semiosis and the life process, but we forget that Peirce did not introduce the
term “semiosis” until 1907. MS 318, where he introduced it, is perhaps a better
example of what Peirce was driving at in Lowell 3.4.

[[ (It is important to understand what I mean by semiosis. All dynamical
action, or action of brute force, physical or psychical, either takes place
between two subjects,— whether they react equally upon each other, or one is
agent and the other patient, entirely or partially,— or at any rate is a
resultant of such actions between pairs. But by “semiosis” I mean, on the
contrary, an action, or influence, which is, or involves, a cooperation of
three subjects, such as a sign, its object, and its interpretant, this
tri-relative influence not being in any way resolvable into actions between
pairs. Σημείωσις in Greek of the Roman period, as early as Cicero’s time, if I
remember rightly, meant the action of almost any kind of sign; and my
definition confers on anything that so acts the title of a “sign.”) ]EP2:411]

But I don’t think anybody sees the “three-body problem” in astrophysics, for
instance, as embodying the kind of complexity we see in a semiotic or a living
process; so it’s not just the interaction of any three subjects that
constitutes Thirdness. “The third Universe comprises everything whose Being
consists in active power to establish connections between different objects,
especially between objects in different Universes” (EP2:435, emphasis mine).

I don’t suppose that I’m telling readers of this list anything they don’t
already know, I’m just trying to articulate it in a way that seems clearer to
me than Lowell 3.4 does. Perhaps others can clarify it better.

Gary f.