}Gary R - I'll continue to disagree. I don't think that Peircean
semiotics can be used to correlate these two types of refugees.

        As far as destitution of both sets - that is open to question on
both sets - and I repeat my concern about the correlation of two
sets.  Furthermore one set [the Holy Family] is defined as 'Holy';
are the war refugees also to be defined as 'Holy'?

        And yet again - the question of compassion was never brought up! The
only question asked was whether semiotics could be used as a
constructive method to analyze two Sets!!!!  And yet - for some
reason, suddenly the issue of compassion by an observer is inserted
into the discussion - when it has nothing to do with semiotics or the
original question!

        Now - if the original question had been based around 'can one feel
compassion' for war-refugees? Can this compassion be similar to the
compassion one feels for the Holy Family? -...well, that's a
different debate. And frankly- I don't think such a comparison is a
very interesting analysis, for all one can answer is: Yes.

        Edwina
 On Thu 28/12/17  2:54 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, Gene, Peter, Jon S, Jon A, list,
 Edwina wrote:
 Where I would quibble with you, Gary, apart from the fact that such
an analysis has nothing to do with Peircean semiotics - is that one
has to, I think, be careful with analogies. One situation may be
similar to another situation only in part. The danger with an analogy
is that once one has made that first correlation of'
X-is-analogous-to-Y'- then, suddenly, one includes all the other
attributes that belong to ONLY Y.
 I can't agree with you that such an analysis as Gene's "has nothing
to do with Peircean semiotics." First, as Gene remarked, it was
Peirce's view that "symbols grow," and the symbolic meaning of the
nativity has grown and can grow further--at least in some people's
minds (including mine).The Holy Family was, despite your seemingly
questioning it, if not quite "destitute," at least very poor, and no
doubt even more so having indeed traveled to "a foreign land."
 And, further, while I might tend to agree with you that "one has to
be careful with analogies," I would hold that Gene's analysis most
certainly has its Peircean semeiotic facets, and moreover, that as
Jon A wrote (unfortunately, in another thread he created for no good
reason that I can see), there is in Peirce a very important "logic of
analogy," one which John Sowa has also done some significant work in.
See for example his "Analogical Reasoning."
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/analog.htm [1].
 I see that Jon S has addressed this well, so I'll stop here.
 Best,
 Gary R
 Gary RichmondPhilosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication
StudiesLaGuardia College of the City University of New York718
482-5690