Edwina, List,
I think that this is the first time that I don't agree with you...
already two times in the last days.

1. "semiotics has nothing to say about such an analogy"
If the Peircean semiotic has nothing to say, then we should close the List.
I think that exegesis of Peirce's work should not be the only task of the List. Peircean Semiotic can help to think more carefully in any kind of research (why no not Art History), something that the Saussurean/Greimasean Semiology can not do except for the verbal language.

2. "this is getting into a complex over-intellectualized outline of what is actually a simple, basic analogy" NOTHING is a simple, basic (automatic) analogy (that apparently everybody is able to reach)... or the world would be a better place to live in. 'Die Neuigkeit' of a Nativity with refugees can not be considered a simple event. At least anthropological, sociological, and psychological very complex socio-cultural aspects are involved and the sister of Peter is trying to give a reason-way of that new unusual event. The Peircean triadic semiotic proposal is in itself the most complex and important analytical tool available today (not considering the Semiotic Nonagon as a consequential practical device).

I receive 'normaler Weise' negative dismissing generalizations, I would prefer to know a concrete criticism, a better approach than that which is possible with the SN.
Anyway, Edwina, I admire your constant commitment with the List.
All the best to all
Claudio

PS: I have sent a .GIF with the scheme of the SN, have you got it? Because below it is blank.