Helmut,

I find your thinking very much to the point. I also find it very good to be frank. And I think Peirce wasas frank as he could, too. Which did not make him very agreeable to the establishments of his times.

By now, there is no agreement on any overview, not about this topic or much else.

You wrote on EG's:
HELMUT: " Is it so, that the EGs are about all that can be expressed with the
term "is", respectively by negations/exclusions and operators, that
would be existence, identity, and classification. EGs are not about
composition (parts), is that so?"

I think you are right.

Let's see what is (logically) involved in what you write,
CSP wrote: what is involved, can be evolved. Which is what I now attempt to do.

Existential Graphs are about existence. – But about what kind of existence? This question I'll leave on hold. Existential Graphs consist of three parts, alfa, beta and gamma graphs. The three first Greek alphabets. – Is it to be taken as a division (a classification) into three, a trichotomy? - Yes.

Which part of the division is to be taken up first? – Well, Peirce gave many options for that issue. One of them was that its best to take up first the one which is easiest to understand AND to make understood.

Then there is the option to take up first what became historically (or evolutionarily) first. The order of precedence, in a general sense.

The third option is offered by logical if – then relations. One should, of course, add the third part (? ) [This choice of word is to be left on hold, because it involves a word the question is aimed to solve. CSP typically writes "Let's provisionally accept this or that", then later he comes back to what has been provisionally accepted with a new understanding, often with a new wording, just as well.] The third is of course a chain of IF (if – then) THEN …. etc. relations.

This is sometimes called contextuality, sometimes inbeddedness, sometimes by some other name. The logical idea remains the same. [but a lot of muddle is brought up by so called exact (verbal) definitions]. It is good to keep in mind that all logic is about ideas, even though some ideas persist out of 'natural causes'. For example pushing a door open. [An example CSP used a lot, but which has lost much of its argumentative power with automatic doors.]

With developing Existential Graphs to the (almost) perfect state, CSP, according to my general understanding of his work as a whole, took the easiest part first. [Do not expect any Peirce sholar to agree with this. With this I stand alone. But CSP did express that he did not wish to be followed by a pack of sheep, but by people who took on to experiment on what he had written on. So I have done. ]

The existents in EG's are made visible on the sheet of assertion. They follow each other in a certain logical order. But the sheet has a recto and verso. [CSP did change his wordings, but not the basic ideas] . On the sheet there may be presented negations. But there also always is the other side.

When you or anyone else writes down, or draws up [note the English ups and dows, in Finnish there is no such division] a sign aimed at communicating an idea to others, the sign becomes an existent being. It is there. Not any more only virtually, but also actually.

This is the point where all becomes difficult and confusing. Divisions into three and classifications do not work any more.

John F Sowa has offered many examples on Greek etymology and how the nouns originate in verbs. Greek was a very verbal language. So is Finnish even today.

in 1990's I designed an experiment for myself. I made a rule on not ever using the verb "is" (the Finnish counterpart, of course). For a year or so it was very cumbersome to stop every time that word happened to come out "from my pen", wrote CSP. I could also use the "search" command. With this experiment I learned a lot. I believe that by it I got rid of the last remnants of nominalistic ways of thought. (Which is not the same as a philosophical standpoint, it has to do with cultural issues, not individual issues, or opinions or whatever.) The experiment lasted about three years. By then my habits of thought had been changed, so there were no more any need for such restrictions.

A verb, any verb presents a logical connective. Modern formal logic is all about IS or IS NOT. Peirce brought in existential quantifier, which came along with his theory of probability etc.

Which came along with his ideas of firstness as spontaneity etc.

Existential Graphs present all they present from the standpoint of Secondness only. But the standpoint of Secondness allows three perspectives. If a dialogue with others is wished for at the CSP's times (or ours), then best start with the second perspective available from the standpoint of Secondness.

By now the Lowell lectures are approaching the point where divisions will break up, classifications fail. I do not know whether this has helped you, Helmut, in any other way than my saying that I think you are right in your ponderings.

Best wishes, Kirsti