From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: 22-Dec-17 13:33
To: jerry_lr_chand...@icloud.com; Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de>
Cc: Peirce List <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>; John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net>
Subject: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 3.6

Hello Gary F, John S, Helmut, Kirsti, List,

I take John to be asking a good question about whether or how the part/whole
distinction might or might not apply to the account of relations and
relationships as it is applied in the normative science of semiotics. Given
the context of our discussion, we can ask similar questions about how the
distinction should be applied in the formal logic of the EG.

In asking "what practical  difference would it make," I take John to be
asking the very same kind of thing that Peirce asked in his account of
relations and relationships when he moves from the first (i.e., familiarity)
and second (logical) grades of clarity, to a third pragmatic grade of
clarity (see The Logic of Relatives starting at CP 3.456 and also 6.318
below).

Starting with the texts, I see that Peirce applies the distinction in a
number of places to the account of relations and relationships.  Here are
several relevant passages (note:  words both underlined and in bold are my
emphasis):

1.  CP 2.316. Let us now proceed to compare the conclusions from the
abstract

definition of a Dicisign with the facts about propositions. The first
conclusion is that every proposition contains a Subject and a Predicate, the
former representing (or being) an Index of the Primary Object, or Correlate
of the relation represented, the latter representing (or being) an Icon of
the Dicisign in some respect. Before inquiring whether every proposition has
such parts, let us see whether the descriptions given of them are accurate,
when there are such parts. The proposition "Cain kills Abel" has two
subjects "Cain" and "Abel" and relates as much to the real Objects of one of
these as to that of the other. But it may be regarded as primarily relating
to the Dyad composed of Cain, as first, and of Abel, as second member. This
Pair is a single individual object having this relation to Cain and to Abel,
that its existence consists in the existence of Cain and in the existence of
Abel and in nothing more. The Pair, though its existence thus depends on
Cain's existence and on Abel's, is, nevertheless, just as truly existent as
they severally are. The Dyad is not precisely the Pair. The Dyad is a mental
Diagram consisting of two images of two objects, one existentially connected
with one member of the pair, the other with the other; the one having
attached to it, as representing it, a Symbol whose meaning is "First," and
the other a Symbol whose meaning is "Second." Thus, this diagram, the Dyad,
represents Indices of Cain and Abel, respectively; and thus the subject
conforms to our conclusion.

2. CP 4.173 A part of a collection called its whole is a collection such
that whatever is u of the part is u of the whole, but something that is u of
the whole is not u of the part. (174) It is convenient to use this locution;
namely, instead of saying A is in the relation, r, to B, we may say A is an
r to B, or of B; or, if we wish to reverse the order of mentioning A and B,
we may say B is r'd by A. If a relation, r , is such that nothing is r to
two different things, and nothing is r'd by two different things, so that
some things in the universe are perhaps r to nothing while all the rest are
r, each to its own distinct correlate, and there are some things perhaps to
which nothing is r, but all the rest have each a single thing that is r to
it, then I call r a one-to-one relation. If there be a one-to-one relation,
r, such that every unit of one collection is r to a unit of a second
collection, while every unit of the second collection is r'd by a unit of
the first collection, those two collections are commonly said to be in a
one-to-one correspondence with one another. . . .

3. CP 2.311 This latter Object may be distinguished as the Primary Object,
the other being termed the Secondary Object. The Dicisign in so far as it is
the relate of the existential relation which is the Secondary Object of the
Dicisign, can evidently not be the entire Dicisign. It is at once a part of
the Object and a part of the Interpretant of the Dicisign. Since the
Dicisign is represented in its Interpretant to be an Index of a complexus as
such, it must be represented in that same Interpretant to be composed of two
parts, corresponding respectively to its Object and to itself [the
Dicisign]. That is to say, in order to understand the Dicisign, it must be
regarded as composed of two such parts whether it be in itself so composed
or not. It is difficult to see how this can be, unless it really have two
such parts; but perhaps this may be possible. Let us consider these two
represented parts separately. The part which is represented to represent the
Primary Object, since the Dicisign is represented to be an Index of its
Object, must be represented as an Index, or some representamen of an Index,
of the Primary Object. The part which is represented to represent a part of
the Dicisign is represented as at once part of the Interpretant and part of
the Object.

4. CP 4.564  In the first place, the most perfectly analytical system of
representing propositions must enable us to separate illative
transformations into indecomposable parts. Hence, an illative transformation
from any proposition, A, to any other, B, must in such a system consist in
first transforming A into AB, followed by the transformation of AB into B.
For an omission and an insertion appear to be indecomposable transformations
and the only indecomposable transformations. That is, if A can be
transformed by insertion into AB, and AB by omission in B, the
transformation of A into B can be decomposed into an insertion and an
omission.

5. CP 3.493 For the purpose of this algebra, I entirely discard the idea
that every compound relative consists of an antecedent and a consequent
part. I consider the circle round the antecedent as a mere sign of negation,
for which in the algebra I substitute an obelus over that antecedent. The
line between antecedent and consequent, I treat as a sign of an "operation"
by itself. It signifies that anything whatever being taken as correlate of
the first written member -- antecedent or consequent -- and as first relate
of the second written member, either the one or the other is to be accepted.

6. CP 6.318. I have, since 1870, written much about the logic of relations.
In those writings, I have usually restricted the terms "relations" and
"relationships" to existential relations and relationships. By a
relationship I understand the conception of a fact about a set of things
abstracted from the representation of the things themselves or, in other
words, a predicate which requires more than one subject to complete a
proposition, or conception of a fact. A "relation" only differs from a
"relationship" in that one of the subjects is regarded as being taken
account of first, and is usually called the subject nominative, while the
others are called the direct and indirect objects. In other words a relation
is a predicate requiring one subject nominative and one or more objects in a
definite sequence. In my earlier papers [in Volume 3] I use the conception
of relation chiefly; in my later ones that of relationship. The difference
is little more than trifling. An existential relation or relationship is
distinguished from others by two marks. In the first place, its different
subjects all belong to one universe; which distinguishes it very strikingly
from such relations as that which subsists between a thing and its
qualities, and that which subsists between portions of matter and the form
into which they are built; as for example between the cells of a living body
and the whole body, and often times between the different singulars of a
plural and the plural itself. In the second place, an existential relation
or relationship differs from some other relations and relationships in a
respect which may be described in two ways, according as we employ
collective or distributive forms of expression and thought. Speaking
collectively, the one logical universe, to which all the correlates of an
existential relationship belong, is ultimately composed of units, or
subjects, none of which is in any sense separable into parts that are
members of the same universe. For example, no relation between different
lapses of time -- say, between the age of Agamemnon and that of Homer -- can
be an existential relation, if we conceive every lapse of time to be made up
of lapses of  time, so that there are no indivisible units of time.

7. CP 3.576. By a seed (granum) of an existential relation is to be
understood an existing individual which not only stands in that relation to
some correlate, but to which also some relate stands in that relation. By a
spike of a relation is to be understood any collection of seeds of it of
which it is both true that every one of them stands in that relation to some
one of them; and it is also true that to every one seed of the spike some
seed of the spike stands in that same relation. Thus, two spikes of the same
relation may have common seeds, or one may even be a part of another. A
simple spike is a spike not containing any other spike as a part of it.

Looking at these seven passages, it seems clear to me that Peirce is
applying the distinction between part and whole to the relations and
relationships that are found in the science of semiotics and in the formal
logic of the EG. What is more, he applies the distinction in his both his
logical (i.e., 2nd level of clarity) and in his pragmatic (i.e., 3rd level)
definitions and explanations of how the correlates are related to one
another in both degenerate and genuinely dyadic and triadic relations.
Having said that, he is being remarkable careful about when and how the
distinctions should be applied.

It is possible that Peirce is mistaken in applying the distinction between
part and whole the way he does to semiotic relations and relationships but,
for my part, I don't see anything that stands out as a clear error on his
part. As such, my aim is to follow his lead in the proper use of these
terms--at least when I'm trying to interpret his texts.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor