Kirsti, you quoted my post in yours and commented that you “cannot understand
the use of quotation marks & the lack of use fo them in what follows.”

It’s quite simple: The part enclosed in quotation marks is a direct quote of
Peirce’s exact words, and the rest is my own words. This is what I always do in
my posts, whenever I am commenting on something Peirce (or anyone) wrote; I
“try to keep quotes and interpretations so marked that any reader can tell
which is which” (quoting you, in that case). In my post, I included the link to
my blog so that anyone who wanted the exact source citation could find it
there. I don’t see the problem with that.

I also don’t see how your claim — that Peirce’s own choice of term, such as
“phaneron,” is “inconsistent with his deeper views” — can be tested in any
laboratory, as you appear to suggest. I don’t know any way of comprehending
Peirce’s “deeper views” about matters except to study what he wrote about them,
on the default assumption that he meant exactly what he wrote, and “it is quite
indifferent whether it be regarded as having to do with thought or with
language, the wrapping of thought, since thought, like an onion, is composed of
nothing but wrappings” (Peirce, EP2:460). Perhaps you do have a better way of
gaining insight into Peirce’s deeper thoughts, but if so, I think it’s up to
you to demonstrate it rather than ask the rest of us to take it on faith.

And Happy New Year to you too!

Gary f.