Excellent piece. And excellent quote which I think I had better paste in. I
created the triad Reality Ethics Aesthetics as a suggested post-Peirce
basis for philosophy. It fits in with previous quotes in this thread and
explicitly so with the following:
“Esthetics and logic seem at first blush to belong to different universes .
. . . [But] that seeming is illusory; on the contrary, logic needs the help
of esthetics.” Just as it needs the help of ethics: “Logical goodness and
badness, which we shall find is simply the distinction of *Truth *and
*Falsity*in general, amounts in the last analysis to nothing but a peculiar
application of the more general distinction of Moral Goodness and Badness,
or Righteousness and Wickedness.” Peirce does not mean to equate these
three realms, of course, for that would lead to the conclusion that every
fallacy is a sin, which is absurd. But he does insist, in a manner
reminiscent of Cardinal Newman, that “good morals and good reasoning are
closely allied.”

amazon.com/author/stephenrose