Having received no corrections or objections to my summary of the relevant
Peirce quotes, I would like to offer some further comments.

In these contexts, at least, Quasi-minds are clearly indispensable to
Sign-action.  In fact, there must be at least *two *Quasi-minds (#4-5)
involved, such that the Sign serves as a medium for communication of a
Form *between
*them (#6), "welding" them such that they are at one in the Sign itself.
Hence the term "Sign" here evidently refers to what Peirce elsewhere called
a *genuine *Sign--one that requires Quasi-minds serving as *both *utterer *and
*interpreter, which may be past and future versions of the *same *Quasi-mind.
By contrast, a *natural *(or degenerate) Sign does not require a Quasi-mind
to *utter *it, just a Dynamic Object to *determine *it.

The Dynamic Object does this *only *in the particular respect that enables
the (genuine or natural) Sign to act upon the second Quasi-mind *as if *the
Dynamic Object itself were acting upon it (#7).  I take this "respect" to
be the Immediate Object, the *partial *combination of attributes of the
Dynamic Object by which the Sign *denotes *it.  Thus "deputized" by its
Object, the Sign *determines *the second Quasi-mind to produce a feeling,
exertion (action), or other Sign (thought) as its Dynamic Interpretant
(#8), which is a *singular *event (#3).  The Sign is best regarded as this
very determination of the interpreting Quasi-mind, rather than as an
Object that
addresses itself to that Quasi-mind (#9).

So what is a Quasi-mind?  My last tentative definition called it a bundle
of Collateral Experience and Habits of Interpretation (i.e., *reacting
substance*) that retains the capacity for Habit-change (i.e., *learning by
experience*), and thus can be the Quasi-utterer of a *genuine *Sign (since
this requires a *purpose*) and the Quasi-interpreter of *any *Sign.  I
still think that this is close to the mark, but can now clarify that a
Quasi-mind is a *Sign *that constitutes an aggregate or complex of all
*previous
*Signs that have determined it, which are so connected together as to
produce *one *Interpretant (#1).  As such, a Quasi-mind *includes *the
Immediate Objects of all those previous Signs, which serve as its
Collateral Experience, as well as their Final Interpretants, which serve as
its Habits of Interpretation.

I also still believe that the capacity for Habit-change is what
distinguishes a Quasi-mind from a brute Thing--a strictly *material *reacting
substance whose Habits of Interpretation have become inveterate ("matter as
effete mind," CP 6.25; 1891).  I was previously leaning toward also
requiring a Quasi-mind to be a center of consciousness (i.e., *unity of
feeling*), based primarily on the following passage, as expounded in a
recent book chapter by Vincent Colapietro ("Habits, Awareness, and
Autonomy," in Donna E. West and Myrdene Anderson, Eds., *Consensus on
Peirce's Concept of Habit*, pp. 297-313).

CSP:  Of course, each personality is based upon a "bundle of habits," as
the saying is that a man is a bundle of habits. But a bundle of habits
would not have the unity of self-consciousness. That unity must be given as
a centre for the habits. The brain shows no central cell. The unity of
consciousness is therefore not of physiological origin. It can only be
metaphysical. So far as feelings have any continuity, it is the
metaphysical nature of feeling to have a *unity*. (CP 6.228-229; 1898)

However, I now realize--since Peirce explicitly stated that consciousness
is *not *logically necessary for a Quasi-mind (#2)--that this is instead
what distinguishes a *person *(or personality, or *human *Mind) from a
"mere" Quasi-mind.  Furthermore, it is what makes *self-control* possible,
as opposed to the "uncontrolled inferences" of non-human animals (cf. CP
7.444-446; c. 1893).  In other words, *all *Quasi-minds are capable of
Habit-change when Sign-actions in the *Outer *World produce a *new *Final
Interpretant that supplements or replaces its *previous *Habits of
Interpretation; but *only *persons are capable of *self-controlled*
Habit-change by means of *purposeful *Sign-actions in the *Inner *World
(cf. CP 4.157, c. 1897; EP 2:412-413, 1907; CP 5.493, EP 2:418-419, 1907;
EP 2:431, 1907; EP 2:549-550n49, 1907).  Conveniently, most of these
citations come from "Pragmatism," so I continue to look forward to Gary
R.'s planned List discussion of those manuscripts.

As for the Existential Graphs, I believe that everything above is
consistent with recognizing the sheet of assertion or Phemic Sheet as the
Quasi-mind (aggregate or complex) of all Signs scribed upon it, in
which the Graphist (utterer) and Intepreter are at one (#10), and a
Dicisign of all that is tacitly taken for granted between them (#11)--i.e.,
the overlap of their Collateral Experience and Habits of Interpretation
that makes their communication possible.

Regards,

Jon S.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com